Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Need Transmission Advice and input (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/need-transmission-advice-input-1392/)

Great White North 03-17-2006 10:29 PM

Need Transmission Advice and input

ALL,
So as I may have posted at some point. I Bought and 01 Monte Carlo SS Silver with all the bells and whistles.
Love the Car, and really enjoy driving it..

I have read on this form some of the things about transmission issues. I have been listing and keeping an eye and ear open ever since.

Well today it happened (am I a little pissed, you got believe it). Went to pick up my wife rounded a corner and gave it some gas. The car felt like the tires spun and caught me a little off guard. Next thing I know my RPM gauge is revving high when I gave it some gas. About a half mile down the road I stopped and turned the car off hoping what ever seemed to be off would reset its self. However when I restarted the car and put it in drive I went no were. Went through all the gears and reverse, still nothing.

So now the car is at Mr transmission I hope to know what happened tomorrow.
One interesting thing is that there was no ping or noise of any sort that occurred if the transmission did go, which does make me wonder what’s going on since, most of the previous posts talk about pings etc.

Also the engine starts fine no issues there.

Anyway any advice and/or info on things I should ask or be looking for would be appreciated.

GWN[:@]

crazycarl 03-18-2006 12:59 AM

RE: Need Transmission Advice and input

My first impression is no fluid in the tranny. Maybe you sprung a leak and then it finally all drained out. The next thing I think of is the torque converter came apart some how, which would really suck. After that, maybe your differential is messed up. This is just general mechanics, I just bought my own monte carlo about 2 months ago so I'm finally getting an education into general motors engineering style, I say that because I don't know if your car is front or rear wheel drive (if RWD your driveshaft may have an issue but with no noise it's doubtful), or if its a stick or auto (my advice pertains to an auto). I do know one thing, my parents have had quite a few chevy's and all of them have had tranny leaks, I mean, I don't think a chevy will run right unless it's leaking something, and my 95 Z34 has a tranny leak as well. If it turns out to be a tranny leak, get it fixed, then start looking at aftermarket tranny coolers, they tend to be universal. Not only will it keep an auto cooler, but it acts as a resevoir so you run extra fluid through the tranny helping it stay cleaner as well. If it's the torque converter, I would still think there is something wrong with the fluid, such as it's not moving right or possibly some debris got in there, in anycase, don't look for performance torque converters unless you want it as a track car, they tend to run hotter. I don't really have any advice on the differential if that's what it was though.

Great White North 03-18-2006 10:31 AM

Well initial thought from the post mortem (at Mr Transmission) might possibly be a burnt out pump.
Although the final verdict is out on this one just yet.

thanks Carzycarl for the info.
On a side note, the 01 monte is a front wheel drive. As near as I can tell I have no leaks. The one note was the tech at Mr Transmission did think the fluid smelled a bit burnt. However there was plenty of fluid so as I said likely no leaks.

One other note, as I said in the first post it felt like the tires spun and the the RPM gauge showed high RPMS. I was thinking about it this morning. Esentialy it looks like I most likley lost my upper gears first and was runing on my lower (smaller) gears. This would be cosistent with the tire spin and high RPM's. It also seems to jive with the idea of the pump.

And so it continues

GWN[:'(]

Great White North 03-20-2006 07:47 PM

Well I ended up taking the Monte back to the Mazda dealership were I bought it. (yes I know odd place to buy a Monte)
Since I have only had the car two weeks they are covering the costs, and getting the transmission rebuilt.
So it looks like things will work out well. (newish car, newish transmission) Still don't have the exact cause yet and may not know since the Mazda guys sent the trany out to a transmission shop.

GWN
Things are starting to look up
Now if the weather would just start co-operating for the Nascar races everything would be as it should be.

Great White North 03-31-2006 11:58 AM

Well all is working again.
As it turns out I blew my planetary gear set apart. Which really sucked after only having the car for two weeks.
I picked the car up and next thing I know the engine light came on. This turned out to be a bad solenoid in the rebuilt trany.

The good news is that its all back together and working great,
The better news is that after much discussion the Mazda guys covered the cost and now I have a 1 year warranty on the rebuilt trany.

We are now a happy camper once again.
:)

montejass 03-31-2006 12:55 PM

Man, all this trans failure talk has me a little worried.

I wonder if ZZP's upgrade kit is worth it. I have noticed a little slippage at WOT between 35 and 70ish.