Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Need major wiring help! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/need-major-wiring-help-60823/)

volkerc 05-28-2019 04:20 PM

Need major wiring help!

Here is the problem, due to more stringent laws i have to upgrade my 95 monte carlo pcm to a newer model year. i parted out a 1998 lumina as well as a 2003 malibu. the plan was to swap in the 1998 engine wiring, pcm, catalytic converter, all sensors. thought it was as an easy unscrew the engine wiring harness at the firewall and be done with it. looking at the factory manuals of those years it seems the i/p wiring harness at connector c100 is totally different? who can give me some input? do i have to really change the entire i/p wiring as well? the second converter sensor goes into the i/p harness . :/ who knows or did such a swap?

The_Maniac 05-28-2019 08:11 PM

Sadly, I don't know anything about that swap.... But I am curious, is your location not "grand fathering"your 1995 Monte for emissions? Usually they do because they cannot enforce a standard that did not exist at the time. Or is there a problem with your Monte that instead of fixing doing a swap is a better win?

Also, you might be switching from OBD-I in 1995 to OBD-II in 1996 (don't quote me on that, but you will need to double check that, if I am right, it adds some complexity to your swap).

volkerc 05-29-2019 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 717609)
Sadly, I don't know anything about that swap.... But I am curious, is your location not "grand fathering"your 1995 Monte for emissions? Usually they do because they cannot enforce a standard that did not exist at the time. Or is there a problem with your Monte that instead of fixing doing a swap is a better win?

Also, you might be switching from OBD-I in 1995 to OBD-II in 1996 (don't quote me on that, but you will need to double check that, if I am right, it adds some complexity to your swap).

Yes the swap would also mean going from obd1 to 2. No grandfathering in, the world is going nuts and want older cars not to drive in certain areas. Being a 95 there are no test results for emissions that they would accept because the car was not tested for nox or didn't require as required for later modelyears, yet it would reduce nox but authorities are retarded. Makes no sense trying for an intelligent discussion. The cars i parted out are tested to these stadards so i figured swapping emission parts are easier, unless the entire i/p wiring needs to be switched as well. Can be done, but was hoping to avoid this. A perfectly fine running automobile to be butchered and altered because of crazy environmentalists.

The_Maniac 05-29-2019 05:24 AM

Just curious, where do you live that is forcing you to change the car to meet modern emissions standards (I want to know where to avoid if I ever move lol).

volkerc 05-29-2019 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 717616)
Just curious, where do you live that is forcing you to change the car to meet modern emissions standards (I want to know where to avoid if I ever move lol).

Europe, avoid, big time.

The_Maniac 05-29-2019 08:56 PM

Europe, we don't get too many people from overseas (usually U.S. and Canada). I have heard Europe can be pretty strict on emissions laws, but enforcing newer standards on older cars, ouch. I hope you can get everything working. Feel free to share pics and updates on this (as many of us like reading and seeing projects like this).