Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   MicroGard (O'Reielly Auto) filters lower quality now (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/microgard-oreielly-auto-filters-lower-quality-now-35989/)

JaxJim 04-26-2012 12:44 PM

MicroGard (O'Reielly Auto) filters lower quality now

I just went to O'Reilly auto parts for an oil filter. I usually get their "house brand" which they call MicroGard. It's a pretty good filter - or it was. The construction was pretty beefy compared to most others. On the shelf today, however were two versions of my 3387A filter. The old version in a pretty box with colors and illustrations, and the new version of the 3387A - in a generic white box - so I looked inside the white box and saw that the filter base is now of thinner metal, the filter is about a 1/4 inch shorter, and I didn't see the rubber "anti-drain" feature. Looks like the accountants got involved in the design.

Sparky-88 04-26-2012 01:57 PM

Interesting. I found the following comparison of Microguard to NAPAGold filters: NapaGold Oil Filter vs MicroGuard Oil Filter Comparison: FleetFilter Secure Online Store.

FWIW - I use WIX (from O'Reilly) now. They seem to make a good product and have filters even for my old cars. WIX makes the filters for NAPAGold. The entire assembly is almost identical. Not true with NAPA ProSelect (lower grade line of filters).

So if you like shopping at O'Reilly, I'd go with their WIX line of filters.

JaxJim 04-26-2012 02:35 PM

Very informative article. The NAPA Gold/WIX (both made by WIX) are much better than the MicroGard. I'll be taking the MicroGard back and getting a WIX after reading this.

JaxJim 04-26-2012 02:49 PM

I guess you get what you pay for- for a 3.1 ltr Chevy here in FLA, the WIX is $6.29. The MicroGard is $3.59. AC Delco is $4.19.

butch049 04-27-2012 08:28 AM

I work at OReillys go wix all the way all filters! Little more but much better All the dirt track racers that come in only use Wix!

JaxJim 04-27-2012 09:31 AM

Butch049 - How does the O'Reilly oil compare to the major label brands? Some of the big name oil is $5 - $6 bucks a qt for conventional. The O'Reilly is $3 a qt.

Is the O'Reilly oil a good quality product?

I've used O'Reilly or Advanced Auto oil in the past without any issues, but was curious.

FYI - my last oil change was with Valvoline Nextgen - recycled oil. It's made with 50% recycled oil. I got a $20 rebate when I bought it which made it almost free. Without the rebate, it can be more expensive than "new" oil.

Budsjlm 04-27-2012 09:32 AM

saw the generic box and was turned away when picking up a bunch of stuff for my sisters car, it will be sporting a WIX filter

butch049 04-27-2012 11:36 AM

That Nextgen was agood deal. I like Mobil 5000 ORilley oil is ok Ithink any Mobil is the best Wait and watch when Mobil goes on sale we dont even know till maybe a week before A few months ago we had Mobil 5000 5qts and filter 9.99!! Cheper than I could by it at my cost discount Bought a bunch. Watch for the sales!!!!!!!!!