Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   May have just made a mess for myself.. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/may-have-just-made-mess-myself-33867/)

bizparr 01-31-2012 12:19 PM

May have just made a mess for myself..

Well, this past weekend I decided to tint my reverse lights and order some LED's for them to (theoretically) make up for the tint and have the lights just as bright or brighter.

I got my LEDs in the mail yesterday and decided to try and put them on last night after work (I'm like a little kid in a toy store when it comes to modding my Monte, If I want it, I want it now.) Anyway, I got one of them put in just fine, was lighting up great. But the 2nd one I couldn't get to fit properly. It seemed to me like the pins just weren't lining up correctly no matter what I did.
So.. I got the brilliant idea to take a bit of copper speaker wire, and jam it in between the light and the connector (In hindsight, this was a horrible idea.) As of now my reverse lights are out. They don't flash on with the key fob(headlights still do), or when the car is in reverse. I haven't noticed anything else wrong, brake lights and parking lights work fine. All interior lights seem to be okay. So I'm assuming maybe if I'm lucky the reverse lights are on their own fuse/relay?

Hoping for some pointers on where to start if anyone has a clue. And sorry for the block of text!

Thanks.

Enzo354 01-31-2012 01:05 PM

I'm assuming it's a fuse or a relay that went bad. That was a terrible idea...

KJRich 01-31-2012 07:51 PM

There should be a fuse labeled "B/U LP" in the passenger side fuse box. I think there's a relay for it in there, too. Good luck.

bizparr 01-31-2012 11:28 PM

I have no clue what I was thinking at the time... better to get my stupidity out of the way on stuff like
reverse lights as opposed to messing something up when it comes time to tinker around with my drivetrain or suspension i suppose? :o

Thanks KJRich, I thought it might be that one (took a moment to peek in there earlier before work). Just hoping there's not more I could have messed up..

KJRich 02-01-2012 11:11 AM

Let us know how it works out.:thumbsup:

DuSSt 02-01-2012 11:40 AM

I would assume as well that it's just a simple fuse/relay issue, once you get that fixed and the lenses tinted and everything done will have to put up some pics, or let me/us know how the light output compares after tinting :)

bizparr 02-01-2012 06:28 PM

I was planning on posting some before/after pics of the lighting. I still have the before pic, obviously no after yet though :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow in the daylight to go out and check/replace that fuse and/or relay.

01 Monte SS 02-01-2012 06:44 PM

I only have an after pic now that I removed my reverse tint lol.. Blocked too much light for me.

bizparr 02-01-2012 08:59 PM

With stock lights or LEDs? I drove around with tinted lenses and stock bulbs for about a week, really didn't like the light output, and my windows aren't even tinted yet.