Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   A LOUD whinning sound when I drive! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/loud-whinning-sound-when-i-drive-whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-14608/)

rgant_19 07-03-2009 04:40 PM

A LOUD whinning sound when I drive! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I have a 01 Monte Carlo Ss. In chicago, there are what is called "speed humps" on the residential streets (blocks and alley ways) as you drive. Its mainly to slow down traffic while driving down a neighborhood black. While driving, I didn't notice that the alley had a speed hump and I drove over it pretty fast. After I noticed that I had done it, I slowed down and heard a whinning sound from underneath my car everytime I make a turn or drive. From that point of last week (as when it happened), it has still be sounding that way. I am guessing that i have triggered my power steering pump to go bad, maybe its my rack-a-pinion. I did check my fluid level and I topped it off, but the sound still remains kinda loud. Any suggestions, please help!

MAMONTE 07-09-2009 08:42 AM

I would say its your power steering pump if it is related to RPM's...does the noise get louder with more RPM's?

It may also be a bad wheel bearing if it is more speed related...in other words, if it does not make the noise more or less due to the RPM of the engine, but tends to make the noise the most at certain driving speeds, it may be a wheel bearing...

My first guess is power steering pump.

rgant_19 07-18-2009 06:32 PM

What the problem (for now) was the power steering rezzzzz was very low. Which I don't understand at all because after hitting the bump that I have driven over, the steering became loud. After replacing the fluid, then thats when it calmed down. I still think there is something wrong with my steering (which its veering off too the right still) while I am driving.

MAMONTE 07-19-2009 01:39 AM

Hmmmm i'd get a four wheel alignment, and see what that does.

rgant_19 07-19-2009 02:51 AM

I already got the alignment back like 2-3 months ago (under warranty). For ALL tires! I will just go back and get them to check it again to see what the problem is instead of guessing.

MAMONTE 07-19-2009 01:24 PM

Good idea... they should be able to figure it out!

MonteDriver 07-19-2009 03:26 PM

Try cycling the A/C and see if that changes it, then i would try dry steering and see if that changes anything.

Try in park as well and see if its any different in neutral, park or driving.

When you went over the hump did you scrape? if so you may have hit the tranny, cat or resonator and could be exhaust hanger went missing or something.

rgant_19 07-20-2009 12:48 AM

I didn't even bother to look for none of those possibilities that yon've mention MonteDriver. I will though! That is a good idea to move the steering in place instead of the car always being in motion.

moonlitmagik 07-20-2009 02:19 AM

if it's veering, it's your alignment. Get that redone and that will stop the veering issue. Check your exhaust hangers, your tranny pan, oil pan anything underneath could have scraped and or ripped off.

Hope this helps.