Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Intermittent vibration with clunking...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Default Intermittent vibration with clunking...

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo 3.8ss non-supercharged. I am experiencing a vibration with a clunking sound coming from what seems to be the front driver side. Its off & on / rough or smooth at various speeds. I've change the hub assembly & the cv axle. The issue still exists. While making those repairs I inspected all visible rubber boots & bushings. The only thing that showed any damage was the boot on the outer tie rod end. There is a split. I stuck my finger inside & felt some grease but no grit or debris from what I could tell. When I turn the wheel while driving or stationary it is smooth with no clicks or clunks or any noise. I do know that because of the split in the rubber boot of the (outside) tie rod end, the tie rod end should be replaced. But, could that be the cause of the intermittent vibration & clunking while driving, or could it be something else?

I truly do appreciate all of your help, tips, advice & suggestions.

- Ken Flucas

Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question What about your Brakes and rotors,?

Originally Posted by KeFlucasJr
I have a 2004 Monte Carlo 3.8ss non-supercharged. I am experiencing a vibration with a clunking sound coming from what seems to be the front driver side. Its off & on / rough or smooth at various speeds. I've change the hub assembly & the cv axle. The issue still exists. While making those repairs I inspected all visible rubber boots & bushings. The only thing that showed any damage was the boot on the outer tie rod end. There is a split. I stuck my finger inside & felt some grease but no grit or debris from what I could tell. When I turn the wheel while driving or stationary it is smooth with no clicks or clunks or any noise. I do know that because of the split in the rubber boot of the (outside) tie rod end, the tie rod end should be replaced. But, could that be the cause of the intermittent vibration & clunking while driving, or could it be something else?

I truly do appreciate all of your help, tips, advice & suggestions.

- Ken Flucas
What about your Brakes and rotors,? If you over tighten the Lug nuts on the wheels this will warp the rotors and you will get a vibration from that.
Lug nuts should be at 100ft lbs on the torque wrench.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM

The brakes & rotors does not show any signs of damage or warping.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Might be worth to take a good look at the sway bar and the links. Good luck