Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   IAC location (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/iac-location-54009/)

archimedes 08-09-2015 10:07 PM

IAC location

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone! Quick question on the IAC valve location. Where is it on a 2006 Monte Carlo? I’m now in the process of trying to make mine run smooth. I’ve just changed the air filter, and am up to cleaning the throttle body. I’ve been reading up on cleaning it, and from time to time, I’ve seen people mention to clean the IAC. When I keep looking at the throttle body on mine, I can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve attached a picture since I can’t find too many illustrating this (The one picture I found that shows it clearly was from a previous model, and looked different, but I’m not sure if I’m just looking at it the wrong way). Can someone point it out to me? Is it enclosed by the MAF, or is it on the throttle body? I’m probably leaving the MAF alone during the cleaning since I don’t want to accidently break it. It seems like an easy question, but I can’t seem to figure it out, and wanted to make sure I have the right piece before I take the whole thing apart.
Thanks in advance!

xxtheshockerxx 08-10-2015 01:23 AM

whoops nvm I didn't look at your pic. Not familiar with the v6 model.

The_Maniac 08-10-2015 07:34 PM

Honestly, I am not sure your model has an IAC.

The purpose of the IAC is to let the appropriate amount of air into the engine when you are idling and the throttle is closed. Since your engine uses "Drive by Wire", I am not sure you have an IAC. Instead of a cable linkage from the gas pedal to the throttle body, "Drive by Wire" has a sensor on the gas pedal that tells the PCM how much you are pressing it, which then causes the PCM to open the throttle for you. Since the computer can control the opening and closing of the throttle body, it should be able to now maintain idle without an IAC.

The item circled in the pic and labeled TPS, I believe is the device that opens and closes the throttle based on the PCM commanding it to do so. I am not sure if the car has or needs a TPS (or the TPS may be built into that device). I'd have to look more at the shop book.

archimedes 08-13-2015 08:40 AM

It’s strange, but I almost think it might not have one. When I was going through old service records, I found one from 70,000 miles ago that said “clean throttle body and IAC” which is why I thought it might be hidden somewhere there. When I was searching for the part, I couldn’t really find it for sale. The main reason for wanting to clean it was the car seems to have a rough idle at traffic lights. I was told the spark plugs and wires were changed only 50,000 miles ago, though I’m not sure what type was put in, and thought the throttle body was an easier place to start by cleaning. I’ll probably invest in one of the repair manuals soon as well.