Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Aftermarket remote start problems?? Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Default Aftermarket remote start problems?? Please advise

i have owned my 02SS for 3 years and had "Valet" aftermarket remote start since i have owned.. now i am getting weird problems, mostly (but not limited to) when cold started. when first starting, (engine does not have to be running) the cruise light illuminates, the compass/thermometer goes dead, and the heater quits. after about 30 seconds everything is back to normal. upon scanning the bcm i found there were 13 trouble codes mostly having to do with "short to ground" pertaining to door locks and such. i cleared the codes and pulled the fuses on the remote start wiring. anyone who has experienced a problem similar to this please leave feedback.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket remote start problems?? Please advise

The problem I had with my Cruise Control was frightening. The Monte wouldn't come-out of Cruise when I hit the Brakes. Instead, it would act like I had pressed the Accelerate Button on the steering wheel. To make matters worse, the car would put-on power against my braking. To get-out of this situation -- I shifted into Neutral out-of-gear ... the Monte revved-up against the limiter and acted like my foot was on the Accelerator Pedal giving it gas.
While in motion, I shut-off the Ignition and restarted the car. On one occasion, the Cruise didn't disengage and I was forced to turn-on the Ignition and drive a ways; then turn off the key and coast a few times before the Cruise Control disengaged itself and normal driving returned.
Subsequent episodes needing the Ignition turned-off to reset the Cruise happened upon the first attempt turning the Ignition off and back on.

I wrote this up and submitted the report to the Dealership:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Electrical:

1. Headlights
2. Cruise Control

1. Headlights fail to switch from Low Beam to High Beam.
Intermittent NO Headlights when attempting to
select High Beams.

Multifunction Switch on Steering Column seems to be the problem.

2. Cruise Control behaves in a dangerous manner.

When driving and Cruise Control is engaged the Cruise Control will fail to disengage when the Brakes are applied or the Coast Button depressed.

Cruise Control will “Pull” and maintain speed against attempted Braking.
Cruise Control will gain speed (Engine RPM’s Increasing) without Accelerate function depressed.

The high RPM’s remain “Locked-in”
Car “Pulls forward” despite attempted Braking.
Engine RPM’s Increase.
When shifted into Neutral … Engine will race at high RPM until regulated by rev limiting.

Ignition must be turned OFF and car re-started to have the Cruise Control turned off or re-set to OFF.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I took the Monte into the Dealership with information concerning the Cruise in Red Ink!

The Dealership took an extra day beyond the two they wanted for the Headlights Problem.
They replaced the Turn Signal/Wiper/Headlight Select Multifunction Switch and conducted troubleshooting of the "Electrical Problems."
The Switch and Labor were covered by Warranty. An Extended Warranty transferred to me by Previous Owner.
I was billed for an Hour of "Electrical Troublshooting" $104.00
The Service Department Manager told me they found "A loose wire and dealt with it"

I have not had trouble with the Cruise Control since.
However, my typewritten complaint was dated, mileage recorded and placed in the Vehicles Record on file at the Dealership.

To this day,, I don't know what they found or what was done to correct it.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 PM

I actually am having a very simular issue as the first poster here.

try this. AS crazy as it sounds.

Next time your compas etc.. dont work reach up and push the home link button and it will come back on for you.

but mine seems to think i have to restart teh car to get this function to start agian.

But i have also found that when i messed with the key with out turning it off it started to work normal agian.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 PM

After clearing the BCM codes did any of the codes reset if and when the problem reoccurred?The root cause of your Monte Carlo's problem is no doubt related toone of the codes set.If code B1440 was one of the codes set it is a strong possibilty your Monte is having an ignition switch failure. An ignition switch failure can cause the exact symptoms you describe. If rotating the key ever so slightly while it is in the "run" positioncan create the problem/or eliminate the problem if it is occurring it is most likely the switch.When I run into this problem at work I will monitor the ignition switch output voltage circuitswith a digital voltmeter while rotating the switch to see if the voltage intermittently drops below battery voltage during switch rotation.Ignition switch failure can sometimes be very difficult to duplicate.If playing with the switch has no effect another possibility is BCM failure which is fairly common,especially if the date code on the BCM's barcode label is GMAN169 or lower.
Hope this helps!
Steve......aka bowtietech [align=right]
[/align]

Old 02-09-2008, 04:05 PM

thanks to everyone who responded, you have given me a great place to start

Josh