Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   head gasket or intake manifold (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/head-gasket-intake-manifold-43875/)

rlopezjr69 07-10-2013 02:46 PM

head gasket or intake manifold

Hey guys so i noticed today after running to the gas station that i had oil in my coolant tank. I called my local mechanic and he mentioned he would have to do a test to see if it is the head gasket or the intake manifold.

i did notice that at the stop signs my temperature gauge would rise up and as soon as i hit the gas it went back down. Also when i started it up it literally looked like i had a fog machine coming out of the back end of my car. This all started with the car putting along before i hit the gas like a hesitation or something. i am wondering if anyone could help me narrow this down or if the mechanic is correct and it is the head gasket.

also if it is the head gasket is it complicated to fix at your own house??

STUMPMI 07-10-2013 04:18 PM

What kinda car? what year? what Motor would be very helpful..:rolleyes:

ChibiBlackSheep 07-10-2013 04:33 PM

Smoke from the exhaust is usually a sign of head gaskets, but a test should tell you eveything

The_Maniac 07-10-2013 07:35 PM

- Oil in coolant, strong possiblity of LIM gasket (chance of head gaskets)
- Temp rising, could be coolant leak.... Could be combustion/compression gases getting in the coolant from the head gaskets failing.
- Hesitation, could be bad plugs, wires, coils, injectors. Could be burning off coolant entering the cylinder
- White smoke out the exhaust, 99% head gaskets. Add the symptoms above, 99.9% head gaskets.

And if you are having temp issues, you run the risk of over pressurizing the cooling system. I had this happen and it damaged a radiator.

darksideSS 07-10-2013 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 558583)
White smoke out the exhaust, 99% head gaskets. Add the symptoms above, 99.9% head gaskets.

This sir is not completely true. If the OP has a 3.8 with plastic upper intake manifold I have seen several crack internally around the EGR tube and cause coolant to enter the cylinders. Just as likely a fault on a 3.8 as head gaskets.

OP, since you have oil in the coolant most likely you have a lower intake gasket leaking. If the head gasket were bad it would generally be coolant in the oil making the oil a milky color. What color is the smoke from your exhaust?

nitehawkjcb 07-11-2013 12:16 AM

LIM leaks cause milky oil in some cases, seen it twice firsthand. First time was on the 3100...a ton of gunk under the valve covers.

Head gaskets aren't that bad. It is a lot of work, but if you stay organized (label all bolts) it's not too bad. Make sure you have a torque angle gauge and a torque wrench. Haynes manual will help if you need it.

The_Maniac 07-11-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by darksideSS (Post 558593)

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
White smoke out the exhaust, 99% head gaskets. Add the symptoms above, 99.9% head gaskets.

This sir is not completely true. If the OP has a 3.8 with plastic upper intake manifold I have seen several crack internally around the EGR tube and cause coolant to enter the cylinders. Just as likely a fault on a 3.8 as head gaskets.

You do have a point about the EGR tube (known as a stove pipe), but that's a UIM gasket or the UIM itself. This is what I did not say 100% (that and I admit, it was late when I wrote my response).

In all honesty, the best thing to do is begin with a radiator pressure tester, see if the system is dropping pressure. If it is, see if you can find out where (listening for hissing and looking for coolant bubbling).

In addition, if you do the work yourself, there are simple things to inspect as you dis-assemble the upper part of the engine to determine if the smoke is a cause of a head gasket OR the UIM/UIM Gasket. If you are not doing the work yourself, a trust worthy mechanic should be able to do this. Some say doing the LIM gaskets you are so close to the head gaskets you should do them anyways (I have never followed that logic).

As for the smoke out the exhaust does it do it non-stop OR does it just do it for a short while (this can be determined by simply idling in the driveway). Non-stop (in my book) helps add confirmation that it's the UIM/UIM Gasket, but if it does it for a minute or two and stops, it suggests it could be a head gasket (reason would be that coolant enters a cylinder when the car is off, when you first start it, the car quickly burns off what is in the cylinder and the compression of the cylinders helps keep coolant from re-entering the cylinder until the car is off again).

Now, if the problem is damage to the UIM, you have two options:
- Replace the UIM (many have recommended the APN kit)
- Plug the holes in the LIM that run coolant into the UIM and through the throttle body (I've seen this done first hand, causes NO issue in temp)

Hopefully all this information has been of help.

rlopezjr69 07-11-2013 05:56 AM

It is a 2001 3.4 sci and its the L's.

The_Maniac 07-11-2013 06:22 AM

3.4, forget everything I mentioned in my last post about UIM and UIM Gaskets (that does not apply to the 3.4 in that manner).

Now knowing the engine, I lean heavily on a blown head gasket.

darksideSS 07-11-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 558614)
3.4, forget everything I mentioned in my last post about UIM and UIM Gaskets (that does not apply to the 3.4 in that manner).

Now knowing the engine, I lean heavily on a blown head gasket.

I would likely agree now knowing this is the 3.4L. Though can not be 100% since I can not do the diagnosis first hand.