Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Default water in trunk

Ok, 05 Supercharged is having a bit of water problem. It would have gone un-noticed, but I had my car wash bucket in the trunk.

I had set my bucket in the corner by the passenger taillight. Not expecting it to fill up with water.

I opened my trunk this morning from a SLIGHT rain and realized there was almost a gallon of water in the bucket!

So, since we didnt get that much rain, could it have been kicked up from the road?

I looked around the rest of the trunk but no other place is wet. Has anyone else had this problem?

Could a seal on that side of the trunk be bad?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just to make sure I'm on the same page. There was no water in the wash bucket to begin with right?

If so, I would suspect the trunk seal or a possibly hole in the trunk floor. The water would have to spray to actually get inside if there is a hole in the floor. And for that much water to in the trunk, you would have it in the pass comartent as well.

I know like the '70-79 Camaros had this problem. The large back windshield would develop leaks around it. It was common for the trunk floor to rust out in these cars. Even the lip around the trunk was prone to rusting off.

You could lay the back seat down, have someone spray the back glass and trunk with the garden hose while you lay inside with a light. See if you can detect any leaks that way?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 PM

alright, ill do the water thing and ill let ya know how it goes.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM

the same thing happened to mine it was the tail lights i had to get new ones and no more water in the trunk. the 7th gen and the 6th gen has the same front door back design it could be that for you it was the top screw hole on the tail lights that let in water into the trunk.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM

ya check seal around trunk but its the taillight make sure its tight and dont move they have a seal around that to so check that to JEFF

Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM

the gasket on the tail light gaskets dont mean any thing unless the lights are tightened because what i noticed was there is a gap if the lights are not snug. wich is agreable but the down side is there could be a leak where the third break light that is also over looked. do to if it stays there why would it leak like the back glass and the trunk gasket. it is frustrating to find where the leak is. i do simpothise on finding a leak and fixing it it is a pain to find and injoyable after it is fixed. what i can say is be patient and look over every thing twice.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 AM

check the orings on your spoiler, mine went bad and my trunk was flooding big time

Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I actually put rubber spacers around the bolts on my spoiler so water can run past but not inside.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 AM

well now that the weather has nicend up I did some looking... It turns out it is coming in from a loose weld on the trunk... hard to explain where, but Ill get pics up today. AND it turns out there are a couple inches of standing water hidden away in the trunk.. Ill post pics of those too.. Im going to drill a little hole to drain it. You guys might want to check urs out too.

Quick Reply: water in trunk