Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): fuel pressure reg

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
1 Year Member
Default fuel pressure reg

HELP i have an 04 andi i need to change fuel pressure regulator without breaking the rail.is there another way to do this? its a 3.4 ur comments apreciated.

Last edited by armando b; 07-23-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: 6th gen
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have a 3.4, but looking in my manual it says you need to remove the upper intake manifold and fuel rails to gain access to the regulator. Once that is done remove the fuel return pipe, vacuum line and retaining screws from the regulator. Then seperate it from the fuel rail. Take note of how the filter screen is postioned so it goes back in the same way during reassembly. A special tool is required to remove the fuel lines. You can probably borrow one from your local Autozone or O'Reilly parts store. Remember to relieve pressure from the fuel system prior to doing any work on it. A $15 investment in a Haynes manual might be a good idea. It outlines these procedures and will give you something to reference for this and other tasks you may need to do to your car.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 AM

The fuel pressure regulator can be taken out without having to remove any other components. I've replaced mine twice on my 3.4l.

Check out this picture, it will best explain it.

1.Remove the fuel pump fuse.
2.Start the engine to burn up the fuel that is currently pressurized in the fuel line & rail. You'll be greatful that you did since otherwise fuel will leak/spray everywhere.
4.Disconnect the vacuum line from the pressure regulator.
5.Remove the regulator retaining screw and remove the retainer bracket. Using a clean shop cloth to catch fuel spillage, carefully pull the regulator from the fuel rail. Twist the regulator slightly while removing to ease removal. Discard the O-ring.

The tricky part is getting the regulator out of the fuel rail since space is extremely limited. It will seem like it's impossible, but it does come out. You really need to play around with it to get it to come out correctly.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by spork
The fuel pressure regulator can be taken out without having to remove any other components. I've replaced mine twice on my 3.4l.

Check out this picture, it will best explain it.

1.Remove the fuel pump fuse.
2.Start the engine to burn up the fuel that is currently pressurized in the fuel line & rail. You'll be greatful that you did since otherwise fuel will leak/spray everywhere.
4.Disconnect the vacuum line from the pressure regulator.
5.Remove the regulator retaining screw and remove the retainer bracket. Using a clean shop cloth to catch fuel spillage, carefully pull the regulator from the fuel rail. Twist the regulator slightly while removing to ease removal. Discard the O-ring.

The tricky part is getting the regulator out of the fuel rail since space is extremely limited. It will seem like it's impossible, but it does come out. You really need to play around with it to get it to come out correctly.
Yooooooo **** YouTube... video wants you to take everything off ha ha man thanks 4 the short cut save dc me alot of time