Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Flooded Area Now Traction Control Problems? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/flooded-area-now-traction-control-problems-30880/)

Brabacious 09-10-2011 01:28 PM

Flooded Area Now Traction Control Problems?

First off, I know nothing of cars. Nothing. I love my Monte but other than that, I know nothing. And this is why I'm freaked out about this issue.

It's been flooded around me lately (thanks torrential rain and Irene) and three times or so I've had to drive through flooded areas. It was during the first time that my car started making scary ass sounds from under hood. It was a torrential rain storm and my car was driving through high water and it was making whining sounds.

Then Irene hit the weekend after and I once again had to drive through high water. Since then it's been just large puddles.

The Tuesday after Irene I was driving to work and my traction control kept randomly coming on and my brakes would feel like they were locking up and making this grinding sound/feel. I'd be at a stop light and when I'd accelerate, it'd feel like my wheels were seizing up and suddenly the "Service Traction Control" light would come on followed by the Traction Control Off and ABS lights. What. The. Hell.

It seemed to get better and my father suggested things were just wet and needed to dry but last night was the worst time. I live in a city and I do a lot of stop and go driving and last night my car was acting nuts at every light.

I know I need to take it in to a garage but what the heck could this be? It sounds expensive and I'm pissed. lol

ChibiBlackSheep 09-10-2011 02:22 PM

Attached to each wheel under the rotor is a wheel hub assembly. Those have connectors in them that when they get wet or dirty can cause those symptoms and problems.

If you undo the connection and dry them out completely, and reseal it back up, you can probably fix it.

A shop will want to replace the WHOLE assembly for you and that will probably cost about $500 per axle.

oneslowmonte 09-11-2011 08:27 AM

Pray that it isn't your EBCM. It's something to check out

Budsjlm 09-12-2011 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 361813)
Attached to each wheel under the rotor is a wheel hub assembly. Those have connectors in them that when they get wet or dirty can cause those symptoms and problems.

If you undo the connection and dry them out completely, and reseal it back up, you can probably fix it.

A shop will want to replace the WHOLE assembly for you and that will probably cost about $500 per axle.

I have to agree with Mike, being you drove through high water it more than Likely wet and sending false signal to the computer controlling the traction control making it think that it needs to be activated