Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Electrical problems (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/electrical-problems-50922/)

Dahawaiian 11-01-2014 05:52 PM

Electrical problems

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2001 Monte Carlo super sport. (This sucks!!) I was wondering if you were able to figure out the problem and if so could you point me in the right direction. This was the post ///// (Hi all,
My 2001 monte with the 3.4 engine is behaving in a bad way. Recently when driving the service traction control light comes on, turning the tc off, battery light comes on and the turn signals quit working and then it goes back to normal all by itself during the same trip with the exception of the traction control not coming back on.
Now, when attempting to start it multiple things light up on the dash and flash in a very erratic way. The airbag, battery, abs, brake lights and also the tach starts jumping.)

ZIPPY02 11-01-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dahawaiian (Post 635422)
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2001 Monte Carlo super sport. (This sucks!!) I was wondering if you were able to figure out the problem and if so could you point me in the right direction. This was the post ///// (Hi all,
My 2001 monte with the 3.4 engine is behaving in a bad way. Recently when driving the service traction control light comes on, turning the tc off, battery light comes on and the turn signals quit working and then it goes back to normal all by itself during the same trip with the exception of the traction control not coming back on.
Now, when attempting to start it multiple things light up on the dash and flash in a very erratic way. The airbag, battery, abs, brake lights and also the tach starts jumping.)

Sounds like this could be the beginning of the end for your Monte's "BCM- Body Control Module" When they start to fail, there are all kinds of erratic electrical anomalies manifesting themselves. Lets hope others chime in and provide you with other potential scenarios. My BCM failed, set me back about 5 bills and a trip to the dealer to properly set it up per VIN etc.

jim1405 11-02-2014 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dahawaiian (Post 635422)

Hi, I was the original poster that you quoted. It turned out to be the ignition switch. I got a Dorman brand replacement from rockauto.com for about $40 including shipping. I only had to replace the switch, not the key cylinder and the car has not had a single problem since. Hope your problem is this simple too.

Dahawaiian 11-02-2014 08:49 PM

I just got done changing the ignition switch and that was the problem!!!! Blinkers came back, ABS light went off, traction control light went off, battery light went off and everything seems to be working great. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys taking the time out of your life to help me fix a problem with my Monte.....but I do (BIG TIME!) thanks again you guys are the best. If it wasn't for this forum and others like it who knows how much money would it cost me. You guys really know your stuff! THANKS AGAIN.