Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Driver door won't close (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/driver-door-wont-close-60046/)

ThomasB81677 08-09-2018 12:34 PM

Driver door won't close

I had an issue with the driver door hitting an outside panel when I opened it. I had my uncle check it and I think he busted the door somehow. The piece that latches the closed is gone. I basically have to hold the door with my left arm to drive anywhere and I can't go far. My question is will I have to buy a whole other door? Does Autozone carry the parts to fix a door, or can I get the mechanism off another door? My uncle that messed it up is supposed to fix it this weekend. I have no idea how to get the part though. The door was acting funny before and probably would have broken soon anyways.

drivernumber3 08-09-2018 04:23 PM

Typically these doors are heavy and long the adjustment is in the Hinges. Check the latch and see if the mechanism is closed? Check it against the passenger door to see if it is the same. Open the latch mechanism if possible. No Auto zone won't have it. Maybe the Chevy parts dept. Go to a Salvage yard and remove it from a car like yours and replace it in your car. If the door is really sagging some times you can put a 2x4 under the door and to the rocker panel and pull up on it and the re-tighten the hinges. Good luck.

ThomasB81677 08-09-2018 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 713510)
Typically these doors are heavy and long the adjustment is in the Hinges. Check the latch and see if the mechanism is closed? Check it against the passenger door to see if it is the same. Open the latch mechanism if possible. No Auto zone won't have it. Maybe the Chevy parts dept. Go to a Salvage yard and remove it from a car like yours and replace it in your car. If the door is really sagging some times you can put a 2x4 under the door and to the rocker panel and pull up on it and the re-tighten the hinges. Good luck.

The whole latch/locking mechanism is gone. There's nothing there to hold the door closed. I figured I would have to go to a junkyard. Do you know if impala doors would work too? I can probably find a monte carlo door, it's going to be different though. Will I need to replace the whole door or can I just replace the piece? Thanks for your help.

drivernumber3 08-11-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ThomasB81677 (Post 713511)

The whole latch/locking mechanism is gone. There's nothing there to hold the door closed. I figured I would have to go to a junkyard. Do you know if impala doors would work too? I can probably find a monte carlo door, it's going to be different though. Will I need to replace the whole door or can I just replace the piece? Thanks for your help.

Most of the latches from that year or so should be the same, take the old one along if you can or make a template for the bolt holes. No you won't need the complete door. Good luck.