Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): What's Going On With My Car!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Default What's Going On With My Car!?!?!

Hello all! New member!!! I recently bought a 97 Monte Carlo LS (3.1 Litre 6 cylinder) got a great deal on it, or so I thought lol, but with all cars u have issues that have to b fixed. Well the alternator was replaced the day it was bought and everything has been fine until the other day. I was visiting my mother while my husband and step brother hooked up a cd player (the factory is just a tape deck n the 19 yr old that I bought the car from had busted most of the buttons off) when we went to leave the car turned on but wouldn't crank or start, no clicking to indicate a dead battery not even a muffle from the motor! SO, called a friend of mine who suggested maybe the starter had went out so the next day we took the starter off and took it to an auto parts store to have it tested and it was fine, like brand new even tho its 20 yrs old! So now we're told it's the starter switch n we r having issues figuring out IF that's what it is (bc everything I google/YouTube pulls up an ignition switch) how to get it out n all that chaotic mess. I'm at a complete loss on what to do! Someone plz help im so unfamiliar with electric wiring n the guys at the local auto store r doing nothing but confusing the hell out of me!!!!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would still start by getting the battery AND alternator tested. It's not out of the ordinary for new ones to go bad quickly.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would still start by getting the battery AND alternator tested. It's not out of the ordinary for new ones to go bad quickly.
Did that as well and they're fine, the only thing I can think of reading thru the book and what other 5th gens have had issues with is a starter switch/ignition switch, or the BCM.....

Old 05-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by CrystalJoy
Hello all! New member!!! I recently bought a 97 Monte Carlo LS (3.1 Litre 6 cylinder) got a great deal on it, or so I thought lol, but with all cars u have issues that have to b fixed. Well the alternator was replaced the day it was bought and everything has been fine until the other day. I was visiting my mother while my husband and step brother hooked up a cd player (the factory is just a tape deck n the 19 yr old that I bought the car from had busted most of the buttons off) when we went to leave the car turned on but wouldn't crank or start, no clicking to indicate a dead battery not even a muffle from the motor! SO, called a friend of mine who suggested maybe the starter had went out so the next day we took the starter off and took it to an auto parts store to have it tested and it was fine, like brand new even tho its 20 yrs old! So now we're told it's the starter switch n we r having issues figuring out IF that's what it is (bc everything I google/YouTube pulls up an ignition switch) how to get it out n all that chaotic mess. I'm at a complete loss on what to do! Someone plz help im so unfamiliar with electric wiring n the guys at the local auto store r doing nothing but confusing the hell out of me!!!!

Well sounds to me like when the new Radio sound system went in something didn't get hooked back up right. The original stereo CD system all plugs into the ignition because it has a passlock with it and if you miss something you could be locked out. Just a suggestion but if you can reinstall a factory unit and it starts that is where the issue is. My son had a 96 Monte back in the day and his friends had one also and one of them got to playing with the radio and it went nuts. Got it back up but I can't recall what they all did. Something to check anyway and you can find replacement's in the Salvage yards and on Ebay too.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Default Ty ty ty!!!!

Omg ty so much!!!!! I had the stereo taken out AND a friend told me about the anti theft being thru the stereo SO checked the fuse and it was blown! Changed it as well and it is back up and running!!!!! Thanks so much for the help and advice!!!!!

Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by CrystalJoy
Omg ty so much!!!!! I had the stereo taken out AND a friend told me about the anti theft being thru the stereo SO checked the fuse and it was blown! Changed it as well and it is back up and running!!!!! Thanks so much for the help and advice!!!!!
Well glad it worked out!!
You owe me a case of Beer I like Bud Lite!!

Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 PM

BTW there's no bcm