Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Coolant Issue (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/coolant-issue-60858/)

FatalcMCSS 06-09-2019 09:42 PM

Coolant Issue

I recently replaced the Coolant Level Sensor in my '00 MC, but computer still says "Low Coolant Level" and my coolant reservoir is full of coolant. Idk if my reservoir is bad..any help would be great.

Thanx!

Glen01SS 06-21-2019 11:14 PM

The sensor is in the radiator near the battery, designed to come on when the level in the radiator goes below it. I replaced the original 4 years ago, the replacement has gone bad (message comes on and goes off randomly), coolant level is fine, no leaks. I think my system may need to be flushed and refilled. If your level is low in the radiator when the system is cold, it could be a bad cap if no obvious leaks when hot. A new cap is the easiest quick fix.

FatalcMCSS 06-22-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Glen01SS (Post 718030)
The sensor is in the radiator near the battery, designed to come on when the level in the radiator goes below it. I replaced the original 4 years ago, the replacement has gone bad (message comes on and goes off randomly), coolant level is fine, no leaks. I think my system may need to be flushed and refilled. If your level is low in the radiator when the system is cold, it could be a bad cap if no obvious leaks when hot. A new cap is the easiest quick fix.

My radiator cap was replaced some years ago

bumpin96monte 06-23-2019 08:00 AM

Is the radiator actually low when your light comes on? Obviously don't open it hot, but it could be that something is wrong and not allowing the reservoir to feed the radiator. If you're positive it's not the cap, then check the radiator passage for the overflow to see if its plugged up, lastly check the hose to the reservoir to make sure it isnt plugged.

There really aren't a whole lot of components that could be bad that would prevent flow between the radiator and tank. But I'd start by verifying it's actually low first to make sure it's not a dud sensor.

ChibiBlackSheep 06-24-2019 10:55 AM

If it bothers you, and you manually check your fluids, you can actually just unplug it and the light stays off.

I got tired of replacing those darn things, so I just leave mine unplugged and manually check fluids on a regular basis.

Glen01SS 06-24-2019 07:45 PM

I'll second that - that resolves the light coming on for no reason. And those sensors are expensive for basically glorified idiot lights.

FatalcMCSS 06-25-2019 01:42 AM

Hell, I actually wouldn't mind unplugging it but I just wanna make sure there is nothing actually wrong or gunked up etc..I don't even remember the last time my car had a coolant radiator flush

ChibiBlackSheep 06-25-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by FatalcMCSS (Post 718098)
Hell, I actually wouldn't mind unplugging it but I just wanna make sure there is nothing actually wrong or gunked up etc..I don't even remember the last time my car had a coolant radiator flush

It's just a sensor that sits at the top of the radiator. They get gunked up like crazy. As long as the car temperature is good, and your fluids are there, I wouldn't worry about it.

RUSHTK 07-02-2019 07:34 AM

Thank you for having an informative thread! Will go unplug mine. Now I just need help with the ABS control module.

FatalcMCSS 07-03-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RUSHTK (Post 718249)
Thank you for having an informative thread! Will go unplug mine. Now I just need help with the ABS control module.

If your ABS and Trac Off light is on in your dash, you need a new Hub Bearing assembly. On which tire, idk