Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Check trans fluid when warm or cold? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/check-trans-fluid-when-warm-cold-10486/)

echolmberg 09-02-2008 03:33 PM

Check trans fluid when warm or cold?

HI everyone!

Is it better to check your transmission fluid when the engine is warm or when it's cold?

Thank you!

Eric

Taz 09-02-2008 05:30 PM

RE: Check trans fluid when warm or cold?

I was under the impression that tranny fluid should be checked with the engine warm. But that may be old school thinking.

Anyone else?

Sir Monte 09-02-2008 07:10 PM

Check it when it is warm would be correct Taz.

Sir Monte 09-02-2008 07:11 PM

oh Yea, It might also say it right on the Dipstick as well.

mrl390 09-02-2008 09:34 PM

Yep, the general rule is to check the fluid with the car running in park at operating temperature.

echolmberg 09-02-2008 11:07 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I checked my level this evening and it seemed very low. Would that be a possible explanation as to why I have a loss of power (aka "little accelleration") while trying to pass at highway speeds or go up steep hills? I added a quart this evening since the level seemed quite low and took it for a light spin around the block (25 mph speed limit) but I suppose I'll see how it reacts tomorrow on the highway on my way into work.

It's a 2001 Monte Carlo SS with the 3.8 liter engine with 58,000 miles. Should I be thinking of having the transmission fluid and filter replaced?

Thank you,

Eric

mrl390 09-03-2008 06:17 AM

If it still has the original fluid and filter, I would get it replaced.

echolmberg 09-03-2008 09:37 AM

Mrl390, I think you're exactly right. All I've ever done to the car is get its oil changed on a regular basis and the car has purred along nicely until now. Everything else in the car is all the original equipment. I'll take it in before the end of the week.

Eric

mrl390 09-03-2008 08:13 PM

Dont let them talk you into a transmission flush. You dont need it and it can harm your transmission.

adryan16 09-03-2008 10:22 PM

Though I've not changed fluid in my new monte, I flipped through my Haynes manual, and it looks to be the same procedure for the older Turbo Hydramatic transmissions as well. If you have any mechanical inclinations, I think you could do it yourself. The two biggest things is to make sure your gasket surfaces are super-clean (use sovent on a rag to clean and dry them), and make sure you don't overfill it. Just FYI...