Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A/C help??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question A/C help??

Hey all, just got my monte A/C recharged yesterday, took 1.25 pounds R-134, tech said he's pretty sure the compressor is leaking some. He said the compressor is a good model, but a design flaw in the form of an 'O' ring is usually the culprit, and no replacement part is available, therefore requiring a compressor replacement. Can anyone verify this, the fact of no replacement part for the compressor? TIA

Mike

Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM

I doubt that is completely true or you wouldn't have remanufactured compressors. Usually its cheaper to get a new compressor vs having somone fix one for you. I can't remember if our cars use a version of the V5 compressor or not. The problem is that most parts store remans are junk. I try to always buy new and I buy most of my compressors and AC parts from Ackits.com The remans that they do sell are quality parts as well as their new compressors.

Wayne

Old 04-29-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Wayne, thanks for the tip, I'll check them out when the time comes, appreciate your time!

Mike

Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 PM

if you buy a denso ac compressor they are really good i've put lots of those in customers cars and they work just as good as original. most originals are denso's anyway. and its true replacing the whole unit is the best way to do it for quality and cost. the whole job done and out the door at my shop is about $900 but repairs are always more costly in canada compared to the USA.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM

AC repair work is also expensive in the states and is why I learned how to do it myself about five years ago. Initially buying the right equipment to do the job right was a little expensive but its paid for itself since then since I've repaired three of my own vehicles and about five others for other people. I also like knowing that I did the job right the first time. Its really not hard. I learned how to do it by going to some AC forums and by reading some repair books on Auto AC systems. Take care.

Wayne