Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Gremlins

On way home from work today hit my turn signal, dashboard lit up, airbag light, trac off, battery, ABS, ETC. If I turn car off restart it all go clear if I hit turn signal again all goes haywire, also when activating turn signal the indicator does not light and get a buzz sound within the dash.
2000SS

Any help appreciated !
Thank you!
Malcolm

Old 06-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get checked for codes, but it sounds like low battery voltage or dirty cable connections, a bad ignition switch housing and/or ignition lock cylinder (chip), or the BCM in that order. The switch symptoms usually include random no start problems, but you might just be seeing the beginning of the problem. Seems like a lot of ignition switch housings are going bad with age. Don't think you'd have anything to loose by replacing the housing and cylinder since it's just a matter of time before they go if they haven't already.

Here's a couple videos:

Old 06-10-2017, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member

Funny thing got up this morning symptoms are gone turn signals work fine, throwing codes was never an issue always started right up even the check engine light is off (which was on for months prior to issues here, it was bad knock sensor bank 2) well I will just drive it and see what happens.

Thank you
Malcolm

Old 06-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A low charge or internal short in the battery can cause those symptoms. You might want to replace the battery depending on age and clean the terminals.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

OK they are back I'm going to replace turn signal flasher and see what happens.
Will post results.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member

OK flasher did not cure it, purchased multi-function switch from 1A AUTO online for 43.95
I know Its cheap, got it today, will soon see if it works. Plus the switch looks to be very well made can't find the CHINA mark anywhere!

We will see
Malcolm

PS

I have new battery, car starts every time and runs beautiful, but if I use turn signals the dash shows air bag, service traction, trac off, ABS, pretty much everything, if I turn the car off everything resets to no warnings, but if I touch signals the whole warning thing repeats.