Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   AC quandry, just stopped blowing cold air?!? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/ac-quandry-just-stopped-blowing-cold-air-6439/)

hatecc 11-08-2007 08:12 PM

AC quandry, just stopped blowing cold air?!?

Ok I've got a '95 monte and the AC likes to play tricks on me. Well about a month ago, my AC would kick on when my car started and just blow hot air and I fiddled with it and could switch it off and then switch it back on and it would start blowing cold air again, and then after a few weeks of that it stopped blowing cold air at all just hot air felt like it was coming straight off the engine and the temp of the air depended on the outside air.

Now in the past(about a year ago) i had a fuse blow, it was the engine emissions fuse and i replaced it and it started working fine. I checked it and its perfect, nothing wrong. When i bought the car the guy put in a brand new compressor.

My friend thought that there might be a slow leak and that my all my R134-A was gone, so i went to buy a few cans and he got his hose out and put it on and we tried it twice and there was pressure and it is full.

I also pulled out the fuse for the compressor but had no idea to tell whether it was blown or not.

He had me turn on the AC on and off and tried to hear if the compressor was turning on or off and he couldn't hear it but wasn't sure.

So, just looking for any insight, anything to try, thanks for reading and for any suggestions. Need any more info, just let me know.

1977Monte 11-09-2007 06:42 PM

RE: AC quandry, just stopped blowing cold air?!?

He should be able to see if the clutch is engaging on the compressor when you flip the switch. If no visible leaks are apparent and system is at the CORRECT lbs of 134a then start checking fuses/relays/wires. Replace the fuse and relay if any doubt first..then look for frayed wiring at the compressor... start from there.

04 Intimidator 11-11-2007 03:05 PM

I would check all the wiring to make sure nothing is damaged just to be safe.

hatecc 11-11-2007 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: 1977Monte

He should be able to see if the clutch is engaging on the compressor when you flip the switch. If no visible leaks are apparent and system is at the CORRECT lbs of 134a then start checking fuses/relays/wires. Replace the fuse and relay if any doubt first..then look for frayed wiring at the compressor... start from there.
Is there any way to tell if one of the big box fuses is blown, or do i just get another and replace it?

FlynhghR 11-12-2007 10:46 PM

Have them check the clutch first, that went out on my beretta before. wasn't too bad, like 200$ I think? There was actually metal filings on a body structure underneath the compressor housing from the clutch being bad...

hatecc 11-13-2007 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Have them check the clutch first, that went out on my beretta before. wasn't too bad, like 200$ I think? There was actually metal filings on a body structure underneath the compressor housing from the clutch being bad...
i've got an automatic

BeachBumMike 11-13-2007 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: hatecc

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

i've got an automatic

Hi Member `Hatecc,
I think member FlyInHghR meant your air conditioner Clutch.
(They wear out ) [X(]
I wouldcheck out the below
[:-]
Blown fuse? Freon leak? Suggest you take it and have it checked to be sure.
Good Luck

Taz 11-13-2007 04:11 PM

Like Space said, there is a clutch on the A/C pulley that engages and disengages when the A/C is turned on and off. This clutch tends to go.

hatecc 11-13-2007 06:26 PM

Ahhh i see lol. Had no idea there was more than one kind of clutch! Sounds good, looks like i will probably just have to take it to someone because i don't think my friend has any experience about any of that.