Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   98 3.8L oil change and sat for few days, now not starting (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/98-3-8l-oil-change-sat-few-days-now-not-starting-60620/)

jfriant661 03-11-2019 04:50 PM

98 3.8L oil change and sat for few days, now not starting

title says it...i did an oil change on it, now it is not starting...just rr-rrr-rrr'ing and then the occasional misfire! what could be the culprit ya think?
changed 5/6 spark plugs to new ones yesterday, still no closer to starting...

please and thanks!

drivernumber3 03-11-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by jfriant661 (Post 716477)
title says it...i did an oil change on it, now it is not starting...just rr-rrr-rrr'ing and then the occasional misfire! what could be the culprit ya think?
changed 5/6 spark plugs to new ones yesterday, still no closer to starting...

please and thanks!

So when you turn the key on you should be able to hear the fuel pump charge? Also when is the last time you changed the fuel filter. I think I might check that first. Normally if it cranks and won't start is could be a fuel issue. Air Cleaner New or not?

jfriant661 03-11-2019 06:07 PM

i tried taking out the air filter just to see if it was a dirty air filter, no better, BUT it does seem like its not getting enough fuel, but when i try to start it and pump the pedal it floods the front spark plugs at least

edit: oh and it does sound like the fuel pump is working...a vrrr when i first turn key for like 5 seconds

2nd edit: are these misfires harmful? should i not keep trying to start my vehicle? its misfired maybe 3 times now

drivernumber3 03-11-2019 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jfriant661 (Post 716479)
i tried taking out the air filter just to see if it was a dirty air filter, no better, BUT it does seem like its not getting enough fuel, but when i try to start it and pump the pedal it floods the front spark plugs at least

edit: oh and it does sound like the fuel pump is working...a vrrr when i first turn key for like 5 seconds

2nd edit: are these misfires harmful? should i not keep trying to start my vehicle? its misfired maybe 3 times now

1st you shouldn't have to pump it to make it start! You turn it on hear the pump, turn the key and it should be running. I think you should get the fuel filter changed. it is located under the passenger side of the car. looks like a beer can. But if you use the wrong wrench to remove it you will twist the fuel line. It's best to have a garage do it.

The_Maniac 03-14-2019 10:16 PM

Pumping the gas pedal is virtually useless. Just because you hear the pump does not validate true pump health. First, complete changing your spark plugs since you already started. Second, locate the schradder valve on the fuel rail. Remove the cap, use a screw driver to push the core in. If the fuel pump is truely working, you should get a little spurt of gas from it. But, if you get nothing, odds are pretty high you have a failed fuel pump OR clogged fuel filter.

jfriant661 03-15-2019 04:33 PM

hey guys, thanks again for taking the time to help me! and sorry i havent been here in a few days.

i ended up changing the fuel filter and i DID get it to start! it was still really tough, killed the battery once or twice...but this car has some other issues that im guessing make it necessary to pump the pedal on cold start, else it just chugs

it seemed like rocking it back and forth may have helped, compression issues? buuuut my friend thinks it may be a bad ground wire...i havent actually checked it so im gonna look a bit at that...alternator ground wire also looks sketchy and the battery seems way lower than it should after i got back from my trip to walmart...

i got some issues!!! but i will also want to check out the valve on the fuel rail....it seems like its not getting enough voltage (hopefully) to power pump properly and even spark the car correctly....otherwise i got clogged injectorss or worst probably...failed pump. thanks guys! i will try to remember to post progress and also will welcome suggestions too! :)

jfriant661 03-20-2019 01:27 AM

hey again everybody. i want to post that i found out my problem...definitely electrical. i replaced all 3 ignition coils on it and now it runs like a dream! thanks again and maybe this can help somebody else possibly too