Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 Monte Carlos No start (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/2004-monte-carlos-no-start-60529/)

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-03-2019 08:55 AM

2004 Monte Carlos No start

Hey everybody. my name is Deshun and i have a 2004 Monte carlos , i just recently had a tranmission put in and now its like my car won't start up. prior to me sending my car to the mechanic house I had informed him that my car started up even tho my other tranmission was shot.
again my car started up even when my tranmission went out. so I need help because I took battrey to get tested and it was good, took starter off and it was ok. I'm not able to check the altenator obviously. prior to me starting up my car I turn to on position lights and radio things work when I go to turn key all way my whole car lose power and I turn back to on and lights cut back on. I'm not getting no crank turnover nothing I figure the mechanic had to do something cuz it was starting when I sent it over there. oh yea q couple years ago I had to get a new key from Gm because I ran over mine with lawn mower. do u think my key lost it transponder memory. I also found a blown fuse that say aux(battrey) 20amp fuse . please help it's going on 6 months

LanceDingo 03-06-2019 08:41 PM

Take it back to the mechanic, I'd going through same thing but it's my fault best thing you can do is use or borrow a multimeter and your owners book and try and track down the low voltage. Good luck to you

Dj_bosse 03-07-2019 07:31 PM

If it's a security issue then the security light should be on when you turn the key to on (not start). If the security light is on, then here are some steps to relearn the key
1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position, DO NOT remove the key.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes (the security light should stop flashing, if not wait up to 3 more minutes).
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th-5th attempt, car should start

Good luck!

LanceDingo 03-16-2019 05:50 PM

Just replaced my starter, still not starting. Hope you're having better luck

montecarlolover99 04-23-2019 09:00 PM

Get a voltage tester and put it on the metal piece of the door jam test all the fuses, could be the ignition relay fuse could be anything to be honest but make sure the fuses didn't go out, make sure they are all in the right place. Check the big 3 wires, check the starter wires for any corroded terminal or connector metal pieces this applies to the battery wires as well and around it, if it's corroded sand it or replace.

O-Five 04-23-2019 11:55 PM

Had this happen to me when the shop replaced my automatic transmission. You turn the ignition to the own position the fuse does not blow. But once you crank it POP, it blows the extra large size 20 amp fuse located in the fuse box under the hood. Went to the junk yard and procured about a dozen of these large fuses to narrow down when the fuse was blowing. I my truck never left the transmission shops lot, it was that bad. Ended up they pinched a power wire between the block and bell housing shorting out when the wire was energized.

DannNL 07-16-2019 07:39 AM

I've had this issue. Replace your ignition switch. Cheap and easy to do yourself