Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   2003 monte ss without any tail lights (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/2003-monte-ss-without-any-tail-lights-30352/)

cjbots 08-18-2011 03:27 PM

2003 monte ss without any tail lights

I am having troubles finding out the reason why I dont have tail lights. everything else works, reverse, brake lights, turn, horn. etc. etc. I have checked the fuses but all seem fine. any suggestions?
thank you

BIGAL131 08-20-2011 09:15 AM

This may sound dumb but did you at least try to change the bulbs to see if they work? Since you say you have brake lights when the pedal is pushed on then i do believe you are getting power back there...it maybe just the filaments for the tail light part of the bulbs could be burnt up? Just a thought for you to think about.Do the turn signals work when the brake pedal is depressed? The reason i ask is that i think the brake light and the turn signal use the same filament...check it out and post back..i am curious as to what your problem may be with your tail lights.I have one more question for you....do you use your light switch when it gets dark or do you use the auomatic feature that turns your lights on at dusk? If you use your light switch on your dash and pull it to the second position..then this just turns on your dash lights along with your tail lights etc....try to pull it out manually if you dont and see if your tail lights come on......it maybe a bad light switch?

cjbots 08-23-2011 02:30 PM

thanks for the reply, however that is not the case. I took it to the shop today, and they want to take apart my dashboard and check out something. I forget exactly what he said, but I remember that it isnt cheap! Im going back tomorrow.
thanks for the help :)

03SSLE 08-23-2011 03:04 PM

If you have (or can borrow) a 12v test light or a multimeter you can check the circuit at the tail light plug yourself. That way you will know whether or not you are getting power to the bulbs. Attach the negative probe of the test light/meter to ground. Pull the head light switch out to either the running light or headlight position. Touch the positive probe of the test light/meter to each of the contacts in the bulb socket. One of them should make the test light illuminate or the meter should show a reading/beep. If it does then the circuit is fine and you just need to replace the bulbs. If it doesn't then the head light switch, relays and wiring will need to be checked out. As BigAl mentioned, it could be that 1 of the filaments for the tail light was previously bad, and the other side also went so now you have no tail lights. I'd hate to see you pay a shop big bucks if it turns out to be a simple fix. ;)

cjbots 09-13-2011 05:57 PM

I finally got it fixed :) it was a wire that wasnt connected behind my Radio. $150 to fix that little mess.. Im glad that I took it to an audio store, rather than a garage. the garage wanted so much money to take it apart and TRY to find the problem, I had the hunch that it happened right around the time I had my radio installed by a friend. but whatever, I am happy now :) thanks everyone for your help!

Steeze913 04-29-2015 09:02 PM

tail lights out

Originally Posted by cjbots (Post 362874)
I finally got it fixed :) it was a wire that wasnt connected behind my Radio. $150 to fix that little mess.. Im glad that I took it to an audio store, rather than a garage. the garage wanted so much money to take it apart and TRY to find the problem, I had the hunch that it happened right around the time I had my radio installed by a friend. but whatever, I am happy now :) thanks everyone for your help!

Do you know what wire it was. I believe I am having the same problem with mine.