Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Default Need Help

Hello Monte Carlo Enthusiasts.

I am new to using forms so I apologize if this is incorrect. I am trying help my granddaughter with he 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt edition, 3.8 L

A little bit of back ground on the car. It only has 89,000 miles on it. It got in a flood that only got into the floor board of the car. Then her dad let it sit for a few months. Battery went dead, he installed a new battery and got the car to my house. I pulled all the seats out, center console, all the carpet, I had all the under dash out and inspected and the only ECU that was under water was the one under the passenger seat. Inspected inside the ECU connector and all pins were clean and dry. I believe this is the ABS module?? Any way I got it all dried out and back to gather, did a break job on it, drove it, removed the oil pan and replaced the pan gasket/seal, also replaced the front engine crank seal, polished the cars paint was also flushing the coolant system. Then one day the battery went dead. I replaced it with a new one a week later that battery went dead, replaced it under warranty. I see the battery voltage was dropping while hooked up. Started at 12.35 volts and then dropping to 11.78 volts. I run a amp draw test and only show 0.001 amp draw, even when I would open the car door, the lights would not light up ether. So I was running it one day heating up to continue with the coolant flush and also try to figure why the rear window defroster does not work. I had shut it off and about ½ hour later I started it up, and it died right away and now the problem.

I have only a Check Engine Light (CEL) on when the key is on. Key off and the CEL goes off but the A/C indicator LED comes on. Key on CEL on and the A/C ind. LED goes off. Also, the engine will not turn over, there are no int. lights, no flashers, no dash lights, no power seats, no power windows. The engine bay Power Distribution Panel (PDC) has 12 volts, drivers side A pillar PDC has only .5 volts to 1.4 volts on fuses and relays, passenger side A pillar PDC has only .5 volts to 1.4 volts at fuses and relays. I cannot read any codes because the OBD2 data port has only 2.5 volts to pin 16, the cigarette lighter also only has 2.5 volts.

I bought a new Body Control Module (BCM) and was going to try and get to start and program it with a barrowed Tech 2 from some techs I know. The Tech 2 has not been updated for several years now, but works but not on my granddaughter’s car. Can anyone tell me why I am not getting voltage to the cabs PDCs and why it will not start.
I want to thank you all ahead of time, TruckTech (not car Tech)

Old 05-03-2020, 12:47 PM

I found I had a bad ground to the inside of the inner dash, the aluminum framing. I cleaned grounds, added grounds and also had a pass-lock issue, After fixing grounds, adding grounds, I replaced the ignition tumbler and performed the relearn I got her car running. I think I got the new BCMs programming screwed up cause the interior lights don't come on when the car doors are opened, the key fobs don't always lock or unlock the doors.
Any ways I am getting it lined out slowly but surely.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:38 PM

Honestly, this is probably the exact reason why 99% of people wont touch a flood car. Hats off to you to getting through as much as you have so far! Wish I could offer some suggestions to help, but you're way over my head, lol.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanks brother

Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 PM

Welcome to the forums