Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   06 Throttle body problems (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/06-throttle-body-problems-51898/)

Egard23 01-25-2015 12:49 PM

06 Throttle body problems

I have a 2006 with the 3.5. I took off the throttle body, cleaned it, and reinstalled it only to find a "Engine Power Reduced" message pop up. I tried taking it back off and putting it on again, I checked the connection for the throttle position sensor, and disconnected the battery. Nothing has worked. I can start the car, but it is such a rough idle and will not accelerate. Any suggestions?

STUMPMI 01-25-2015 02:15 PM

Is the TPS (Throttle position sensor) plugged in correctly?
Could also need a cleaning and relubricated. Try un plugging the MAF (For test purposes) and see if it idles/runs any better. Check all the vacuum lines for leaks... are they connected properly?

If it ran properly before disassembly.. makes sense it should run after re assembly.. if re assembled properly/correctly.

Ill_Born_ss 01-25-2015 02:31 PM

Like stumpi said if it is all back together the way it was and there no bent or damaged pins in the electrical connectors... then try the re-learn required on the newer systems.

First set the park brake and turn all accessories off.
next turn the key to ON, engine off
next slowly press the gas pedal all the way down and release three times slowly in 1 min.
next turn the key to the off position.
next turn the key to ON, engine off
next rapidly press the gas pedal to the floor ( not through it) and release rapidly
next turn the key off... wait 1 minute
now follow this:

IDLE RE-LEARN

Follow thes easy instructions for a required idle re-learn:

Required following: Battery boost/ re-charge, Battery replacement, Induction system maintenance.

- Turn off all power accessories
- Start engine and allow to Idle for 2 minuites
- Turn on as many power accessories as possible and continue to Idle for 2 more minuites
- Apply and hold the brake pedal down and place gear selector in any gear, remain Idle for 2 more minuites
- Return to park , release brake pedal, turn off power accessories.
- Re-learn completed

Egard23 01-25-2015 03:20 PM

I tried the relearn and it did get slightly better, but still not fixed. I tried starting the engine a few more times and I was able to control the rpm's with the gas pedal, but when I let it idle it still jumped and shook.

Ill_Born_ss 01-25-2015 03:38 PM

Because you disconnected the battery you have lost all the learned values/ parameters.
Go for a normal drive let it re-learn, if you are up to it here is a condensed version of a driving cycle.

[font=]General Motors Driving Cycle[/font]
A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

• Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
  • Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
  • Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
  • Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation© General Motors Corporation

Egard23 01-25-2015 05:36 PM

Nothing has worked. Thanks for the suggestions. I am just going to take it to the shop and see what they can do with it.