Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Crank no start(no spark)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:06 AM
1 Year Member
Default Crank no start(no spark)

I have 2000 chevy Monte Carlo 3.8 engine that's having a crank no start issue due to it not having spark. I have changed the icm, crank sensor, cam sensor, new battery, new spark plugs and wires.... I also cleaned all the ground wires. Can someone please help me? I've been spending a lot of money and just wanna get my baby back on the road!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You've covered all the basic spark issues. If you're sure it's got no spark and getting fuel I would check the electrical connectors for the engine harness. Make sure they are tight and the "lever" is locked, especially the one by the battery.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM
1 Year Member

so I checked the connectors and they were nice and tight. tried to start the car and still crank no start, no spark.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member

Have you scanned for codes?

Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 PM
1 Year Member

no codes at all. is it possible that a ignition switch can be the problem

Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member

It's possible, bad ignition switches can cause a number of different symptoms like dash light or starting issues, but when it's a starting issue the symptom is usually no crank.

Last edited by plumbob; 01-02-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 AM
1 Year Member

before the crank no start issue sometimes i would get to my car after work and try start it and it would just crank no start. before i could put on some booster cables on the battery and it would turn right over........ now it won't start at all even with the booster cables. I also noticed today that i have a battery light and security light that alternates. what can that be?

Old 01-02-2017, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member

That helps.
First the battery may be bad. Cold weather kills weak batteries. The security light is an indication of a breach in the VAT (theft deterrent system). That could be the ignition switch housing.
Suggestions:

1. If the battery is old replace it. FYI... jump starting can reep havock on electrical systems.

2. With a good battery installed, perform a security re-learn procedure to restore the password that may have been lost.
Link to 30 minute re-learn procedure:https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...rocedure-8598/.

3. If problem persists you may need to replace the ignition switch housing:
Link to video:

The ignition switch fails due to worn or dirty contacts (points) in the switch and can sometimes be cleaned. They can be damaged by low voltage and/or arcing. Personally, I would just replace it. Stick with ACDelco though.
Video to ignition switch cleaning:

Last edited by plumbob; 01-02-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:24 AM
1 Year Member

why does my car do this

Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
That helps.
First the battery may be bad. Cold weather kills weak batteries. The security light is an indication of a breach in the VAT (theft deterrent system). That could be the ignition switch housing.
Suggestions:

1. If the battery is old replace it. FYI... jump starting can reep havock on electrical systems.

2. With a good battery installed, perform a security re-learn procedure to restore the password that may have been lost.
Link to 30 minute re-learn procedure:https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...rocedure-8598/.

3. If problem persists you may need to replace the ignition switch housing:
Link to video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfqZJ3FQrA

The ignition switch fails due to worn or dirty contacts (points) in the switch and can sometimes be cleaned. They can be damaged by low voltage and/or arcing. Personally, I would just replace it. Stick with ACDelco though.
Video to ignition switch cleaning:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QElT4TBuBqw
Have you done any of the above advice?