Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   04 monte ss issues with hard acceleration (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/04-monte-ss-issues-hard-acceleration-47421/)

Ardell 02-19-2014 09:15 AM

04 monte ss issues with hard acceleration

I have a 2004 monte ss supercharged and am having an interesting issue and unsure of where to go from here. The car is stock except for a k&n cold air intake thst was on it when I purchased it. When you accelerate heavy say when you pull onto the highway, the car seems to almost chug and miss and throws a cel code which flashes then goes away. I have changed the plugs and wires which was badly needed along with the fuel filter. The car has 191,000 km and all that was original equipment. Any help on what to check from here would be great

Scar4ac 02-19-2014 09:37 AM

I also have a K&N cold air intake on My 02 Monte, those are to be cleaned and re-oiled every 50000 miles, I suggest every 30000, it could be as simple as it not getting enough air to the engine. A dirty EGR will also cause a CEL to be thrown, it may be a simple a fix as cleaning one or both of those.

dbaldwin 02-19-2014 09:37 AM

The blinking cell is a misfire. If you changed plugs and wires check the coils. But first get a code scan from autozone to tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

Scar4ac 02-19-2014 09:41 AM

here is a link on the products and how to clean the K&N cold air intake filter
K&N Air Filter Cleaning Instructions

Ardell 02-19-2014 09:59 AM

I was under the impression that coil failure normally isn't under acceleration like that. I though they were pretty much either dead or worked lol but I'll definitely check into that. And thank you for the link for the k&n cleaning. Honestly the thought never crossed my mind it may need to be cleaned because it "looked" ok but I know looks can be deceiving.

dbaldwin 02-19-2014 10:34 AM

I thought soo too. But another member recently had a similar problem. The coil wasnt "bad" as much as "going bad" so only under harder loads did it cause an issue.

Monroe 02-19-2014 01:15 PM

Just throwing this out there. Does it happen mainly at WOT? I had a similar issue on mine where the Fuel Filter had gotten damaged and gas was being restricted.

Ardell 02-19-2014 01:21 PM

I wont lie, i have no idea what you mean by WOT? Yes, apparently my lingo is outdated lol. I did however put a brand new fuel filter in last week.

ChibiBlackSheep 02-19-2014 01:46 PM

What plugs and wires did you replace with? If Bosch, try again. But use ACDelco or NGK Iridium.

A blinking CEL is a misfire, you could also have an injector clogging. Do you know if it's a P0300 code, or a specific injector code?

Monroe 02-19-2014 01:49 PM

Oh, sorry! WOT=Wide Open Throttle :o
Otherwise you could check your Fuel Pressure Regulator to see if you are getting the proper psi