Meets & Gatherings Having a meet or gathering? Looking for one? Let your fellow enthusiasts know! Got pictures from a meet? Post 'em here too. We love pics!

Body Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Body Work

Anyone know of a reasonable and decent body shop in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area? I need to get the rust fixed on my rear wheel wells. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM

How bads the rust? I havent checked aorund Cedar Rapids but most people are scared to touch the wheel well rust.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member

It's gonna get bad pretty quickly if I don't do something about it. I took it to a collision repair place for an estimate and they wouldn't even give one. They just want the big insurance jobs. This literally shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars. A guy at work recommended Rocky's in Manchester, but when I did some research on them, I found out that they have like four civil suits pending against them. I don't know that I want to go near a place like that. I want it done right, if I can find someone to do it.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only way to do it right is to completely cut out the affected areas and install new sheet metal. That's where it get expensive.
Now, on a cheaper note, most will grind out the area and either fill it with fiberglass or maybe weld a small piece in.
Either way, you aren't going to get a decent body shop to even work on your car for $200. With the price of paint these days and other stuff. If is not completely through, you have a better shot of a grind and fill. Any pics of areas?
Sorry to be negative, just the way I see it. Good Luck with getting it repaired.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77gp
The only way to do it right is to completely cut out the affected areas and install new sheet metal. That's where it get expensive.
Now, on a cheaper note, most will grind out the area and either fill it with fiberglass or maybe weld a small piece in.
Either way, you aren't going to get a decent body shop to even work on your car for $200. With the price of paint these days and other stuff. If is not completely through, you have a better shot of a grind and fill. Any pics of areas?
Sorry to be negative, just the way I see it. Good Luck with getting it repaired.
I totally see it the same way. But, the way I see it, I can't replace the car for what it would cost to get the rust fixed. It will really only take less than a pint of paint. There are just three or four small spots on it.

The thing that worries me about the fiberglass thing is that I don't want it bubbling back up down the road. I guess I could try and sell the car and get something else. I hate to do that though. I'd rather hang on to it.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mairj40
I totally see it the same way. But, the way I see it, I can't replace the car for what it would cost to get the rust fixed. It will really only take less than a pint of paint. There are just three or four small spots on it.

The thing that worries me about the fiberglass thing is that I don't want it bubbling back up down the road. I guess I could try and sell the car and get something else. I hate to do that though. I'd rather hang on to it.
Honestly I guess you'd have to ask yourself if its worth it. I'm not surea n LS would be no offense they're nice cars and I loved mine. To me the thing would be if I'm going to pay that much to have it done correctly and right the first time I'd wanna make sure I'd be keeping the car. And for me It would only be if its an SS. Again nothign aginst the LS its just If I'm going to spend that much I'm going to do it on something thats at least a 3800

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77gp
Yeah, I don't think I could fix any rust for $200.. I welded a patch in the floor of a chevette for $100 in the 80's..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
Honestly I guess you'd have to ask yourself if its worth it. I'm not surea n LS would be no offense they're nice cars and I loved mine. To me the thing would be if I'm going to pay that much to have it done correctly and right the first time I'd wanna make sure I'd be keeping the car. And for me It would only be if its an SS. Again nothign aginst the LS its just If I'm going to spend that much I'm going to do it on something thats at least a 3800
No offense taken. That's all things that I have been thinking too.

It's tough for me because my dad always did body work when I was growing up, so I know that the rust is really no big deal to fix. We even drug my first car out of a cornfield and re-painted the whole thing. The problem is that my dad doesn't have any interest in doing work like that anymore, so I'm kinda stuck. Hell, we painted my entire car and fixed all the rust and dents for less than $500. Course, that was 1992. Lol.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member

Here's my next question...

Anyone know where to get rust repair patch panels for a 6th gen? My internet searched are coming up empty.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member

Here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with...

Driver's side...

Passenger's side...