MCF Website Problems & Issues This area is for problems or suggestions relating specifically to the MCF site, not the car.

Info: Website Repair Needed

Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Website Repair Needed

Every time I attempt to open a new page on this site, the screen goes blank and I get an error message saying that a script is stopping my browser. Can you please identify and correct this script?

(No, it's not my computer. It only happens on this site, and this computer cost more than my last car.)

Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can you grab any screenshots or anything that may lead us to the error you are experiencing?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Try using a different browser, or resetting your current one. Works fine for me with Firefox, Edge, and Chrome.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member

Okay, so if it were the browser, it would do it on every site visited by that browser, correct?

For the record, it does NOT work with Firefox, or Safari, or IE 8. I don't have access to Edge.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cost of the computer is not a factor in this issue, but what is installed can be. Could be something like a plug-in conflicting, could be malware, just to label a couple of examples.

As for doing it with every site, not necessarily. For example, if it's an error in JavaScript, the problem will only surface on sites using JavaScript. Or it could be the code written is using a feature that is not supported or was changed for a specific version of a plug-in or feature of the browser. Such as I believe almost all browsers support HTML5, but dig in and you may find they do not all support the same features of HTML5.

You also label that it did not work on:
Firefox - Is this the current version?
Safari - Is this on a Windows computer, if so, APple ended support and updates of Safari long time ago, so it's not even in the running.
IE8 - Microsoft ended support of that long ago, you need to go to IE11 and if your Operating System does not support IE11, time for an OS upgrade or a new device.
Edge - I would not bother with that for this issue.

I would try Chrome. If you are still running XP, Chrome ended XP support in 2016.

If you can provide a screenshot like Chibi suggested, we may have some other ideas. You can also trying hitting the site from another computer to see what happens.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member

The Safari is on a Mac. The IE 8 is on a Windows 7 laptop. The idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a new computer to visit one website is so ludicrous, I can't believe you typed it.
I didn't have this problem two weeks ago. Now I have it. Nothing has changed on my computers, so obviously something has changed on the site. Which is what I said to begin with.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man
The IE 8 is on a Windows 7 laptop. The idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a new computer to visit one website is so ludicrous, I can't believe you typed it.
Please re-read my statement!

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
IE8 - Microsoft ended support of that long ago, you need to go to IE11 and if your Operating System does not support IE11, time for an OS upgrade or a new device.
I clearly stated if you OS does not support IE11, time for an OS upgrade or a new device. IE8 is an unsecured browser because Microsoft ended support over a year ago and is not updating it. You stated this in on a device running Windows 7, no need for a new computer, just upgrade your browser. Win7 fully supports IE11 without issue. Also, there are ways to still get Microsoft's free Win10 upgrade for a device running a fully licensed version of Win7 or newer.

It is possible that Internet Brands who owns and maintains this site and it's software made a change that is not compatible with IE8.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Okay, so if it were the browser, it would do it on every site visited by that browser, correct?

For the record, it does NOT work with Firefox, or Safari, or IE 8. I don't have access to Edge.
No, it wouldn't do it on every site visited. Various sites update & maintain their software differently. I am able to visit this site with all of my devices (1xWin 7, 3xWin 10) on each browser with no issue.

While it may not work with YOUR version of Firefox, Safari, IE, it works fine for others with fully up to date software. IE8 should not be used anymore, ever. It is old, unsupported, and not secure. If Safari doesn't work, find an update for it, if possible. What operating system is on the Mac? Older IOS do not support the latest Safari, so the same issue as IE8 - old, unsupported. You may need to uninstall and install the latest Firefox.

It sounds to me like it's an issue with your software, not the website. Best of luck.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
No, it wouldn't do it on every site visited. Various sites update & maintain their software differently. I am able to visit this site with all of my devices (1xWin 7, 3xWin 10) on each browser with no issue.

While it may not work with YOUR version of Firefox, Safari, IE, it works fine for others with fully up to date software. IE8 should not be used anymore, ever. It is old, unsupported, and not secure. If Safari doesn't work, find an update for it, if possible. What operating system is on the Mac? Older IOS do not support the latest Safari, so the same issue as IE8 - old, unsupported. You may need to uninstall and install the latest Firefox.

It sounds to me like it's an issue with your software, not the website. Best of luck.
You don't actually USE Firefox, do you? They update it weekly. If you choose not to install the updates after three invitations, they install them for you the next time you start the browser.

I tried to install IE11. The Microsoft website tells me I can't because I already have a more current browser installed.

It turns out it is an Internaet Brands issue, because it also happens on Chevroletforum.com. Is there any way you people can contact them and get this resolved?

Some of you have three and four cars, and this is your collectible or your weekend project. This is my daily driver. I reiterate, I don't have the money to buy a new computer to visit one website (or, for that matter, fifty).

Can you please help me with this?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Can you please help me with this?
We still need more information on your end to even go to IB with an issue.

We need screenshots of the error that you get, and we need screenshots of the About screen for each browser you are trying to view this in.

We can't have IB check for an issue without telling them what said issue is, and what version of the browser is being used.

You are also talking with 2 people (Jason and John), that are in IT for a living.

Search this Thread