Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   MCF Website Problems & Issues (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mcf-website-problems-issues-6/)
-   -   Is the MCF site slow or is it just me? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mcf-website-problems-issues-6/mcf-site-slow-just-me-28750/)

myfirstbowtie 06-08-2011 10:55 AM

Is the MCF site slow or is it just me?

I've noticed that whenever I try to load a page on the MCF, there seems to be a lag between the time the page comes up and the time I can scroll down the page to look at the threads, or to read the posts in a thread. I've got to wait until the progress bar at the bottom of my browser gets all the way across before I can scroll down the page. It drives me nuts!

I'm using broadband (cable) internet and I usually browse MCF using IE 8. Is it because the site needs to load all of the ads first, or is the problem with my browser?

ChibiBlackSheep 06-08-2011 11:18 AM

Do you have cache turned off?

How many posts per page do you have set in your UserCP settings?

You are using Internet Explorer and that in itself is terrible.

myfirstbowtie 06-08-2011 11:54 AM

By "cache" you mean the setting for temporary internet files, right? It's set to check automatically for updates against the stored files. I have 250MB of disk space allocated to stored files.

In my UserCP, I have the forum default set for posts per page.

I do have Firefox on my PC too. Would that work any better? I just tend to use IE more often for whatever reason.

jaws2008 06-08-2011 12:26 PM

try not using Internet Explorer. First..

ChibiBlackSheep 06-08-2011 12:42 PM

I was just making sure that your internet pulled all the icons and stuff from the cache for the website each time the page loaded.

I would try FireFox just to see.

Budsjlm 06-08-2011 03:34 PM

I have noticed that MCF tends to take longer to load compaired to 90% of the other sites i go to but it works

Jon 06-08-2011 07:40 PM

I have seen the site slow down.
But google chrome is faster on my pc.
Though it does tend to not load a page every now and again.

myfirstbowtie 06-09-2011 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm trying out Firefox with the MCF and so far it does seem to work better than IE.

Space 06-09-2011 09:12 AM

Hi `Mark,
I'm using IE 9, and it's super slow, but I like the safety features. Plus, it has the ability to check web sites for safety.
I always check web sites (links) before I post them on the MCF.

To me it's worth the slower speed to be safe for my `puter & the member's. It has active X Filtering & Smart filter, and a link to check all web pages before you submit/post them.

I also have Google Chrome, and it is much faster.
Good Luck & I hope that FireFox works good 4 `you...

Discover Internet Explorer 9 - Microsoft Windows

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
Learn about the features of Internet Explorer 9. ... Discover Internet Explorer 9. Internet Explorer 9 features. Fast. Performance improvements. Clean ...
<CITE>windows.microsoft.com/en.../internet-explorer/.../ie-9/features</CITE> - Cached - Similar
<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 4px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" class=slk><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 14px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">InPrivate Browsing
Pinned Sites
All-around fast
Seamless with Windows 7
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 14px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Focused on your websites
New Tab page
One Box
SmartScreen Filter
<TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 14px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" colSpan=2>More results from microsoft.com »
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Taz 06-10-2011 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use Internet Explorer 9 on my home computer.

Just my opinion, but...

DO NOT "UPGRADE" TO INTERNET EXPLORER 9!!!!!!!

IE9 is by far the worst web browser I have EVER used. :thumbsdown: If you think you have page loading issues with IE8, you'll wish you kept 8. I know I do. It's not just loading issues either. I've found many annoying bugs in IE9. Wish I could go back to IE8, but Microsoft doesn't offer it anymore. And I've had it too long, don't want to do a system restore going that far back.

I noticed that any forum I go to that uses vBulletin software, loads slower.

On my iPhone I use Safari. The forum loads a lot quicker on safari than Internet Exploder. But I've been reading that most members are getting away from IE, and going to FireFox and Google Chrome.

One of the bugs I noticed with IE9 is it has the tendency to squish and distort your text as you type. See the attached picture to see what I mean. (the picture had to be taken with a camera to show the problem) Note the line "On my iPhone..." On the screen I'm looking at, it reads "On my iPhone I use Satan." It's supposed to read "Safari". Also note the word "FireFox" is distorted in the picture also.

IE9 also has the annoying tendency to fill the entire text box with horizontal black lines. :thumbsdown: