Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   MCF Website Problems & Issues (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mcf-website-problems-issues-6/)
-   -   Malicious Advertisement? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mcf-website-problems-issues-6/malicious-advertisement-36685/)

03SSLE 05-28-2012 08:05 AM

Malicious Advertisement?

I saw an advertisement I'd never seen before displayed at the top of the page so I decided to click on it and check it out. This is what I got:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/.../malicious.jpg

This is what's in the threat report:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...sc/threats.jpg

It's your choice, but I don't think I will be visiting their web site any time soon...

Space 05-28-2012 08:36 AM

Thanks `Mike for the Heads`Up...
I did not see it on my visits, but several of the ad's are not in control of our site :( I'm sure that `Lou will also check it out..

The only links I click on are our sponsor's links, and I do a safe check on any links that I post on the MCF..

It's sad to have to be so cautious on the World Wide Web & in life 2day 4-Sure....

Thanks again for your Warning for our MEMBERs :thumbsup:

jch81 05-28-2012 09:11 AM

I think this is the virus that constantly sends you back to a certain page no matter where you try to go on the internet. My dads computer I think had this and everytime he would try to load another page it would send him back to a google search or something he made 2 months ago or something. That thing is super annoying if that is the same thing.

Taz 05-28-2012 09:01 PM

Mike, who was the advertisement for? If an advertising link is giving you problems like that, the staff really want to know about it so we can take care of it.

MCF and Internet Brands takes viruses and malicious threats very seriously. Some people may remember that a virus caused serious damage to the servers 4 years ago. Causing Internet Brands to have to re-build every website on their servers. Including MCF.

If you prefer, you can PM or email me with all the details. And I'll forward it to Internet Brands tech department.

Edit: I've sent an email to Internet Brands bringing this to their attention.

nascar43 05-28-2012 10:26 PM

just curious........

Lou , just curious ?
Could this be something like I was getting on my home pc ? I would click on a site and a ficticious virus alert would come up. All it was , was a tatic by McAfee to get you to buy their software. I have since installed MalWare Bytes and Previx and have had no problems. Just a thought ?

03SSLE 05-29-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 462380)
Mike, who was the advertisement for? If an advertising link is giving you problems like that, the staff really want to know about it so we can take care of it.

I don't recall the exact wording, but it was an advertisement for HID lighting kits offered by DashZ Racing. It had a black background and showed the various kelvin temperatures (colors) of lighting running horizontal across the banner. It appeared at the top of the page just below the menu bar.

Originally Posted by nascar43 (Post 462423)
Lou , just curious ?
Could this be something like I was getting on my home pc ? I would click on a site and a ficticious virus alert would come up. All it was , was a tatic by McAfee to get you to buy their software. I have since installed MalWare Bytes and Previx and have had no problems. Just a thought ?

No, this is the real deal. The site being blocked when I tried to go to it is a feature of the Symantec program I use. They have a large database of rogue sites that domains are checked against when you attempt to go to them. If the domain is on the list it is blocked. I also use Malwarebytes, and a couple other programs on a weekly basis, but Symantec is always running. I'm not aware of McAffee ever using that tactic to recruit business. If you got a popup claiming it was from them chances are it was actually malware from elsewhere. There are a lot of bogus antivirus offerings on the 'net that are nothing more than phishing sites.

Space 05-29-2012 07:23 AM

Thanks again `Mike for your post & notice about a possible threat of Malicious Advertisement.

Thanks `Lou (Taz) for your time & sending Mike's information to the proper authorities to block or resolve this issue/problem.

I hope these net criminals can be caught/stopped/punished & put into a cyber jail 4 life, :) with no electronic devices or contact with the World Wide Web...

It's a reminder to everyone to be cautious on what they click while online.
Peace & Safe Surf'in 2 `all
from `Space

Taz 05-29-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by nascar43 (Post 462423)
Lou , just curious ?

I know exactly what you're talking about. And that's the first thing that came to mind. There's also phoney virus warnings where it tells you that you have a virus on your computer, and you should click here now to clean it. The truth is, you don't really have a virus. The warning is a fake. And clicking on it sends you to a website that does give you a virus. I usually use task manager to close everything down. And run a virus scan of my system just to make sure.

But what Mike is talking about sounds different. I've let Internet Brands know about this. And included a link to this thread. So you might see someone with the user title "Forum Staff" posting about this.

Thanks for letting us know about this Mike. We all want to keep MCF a safe and enjoyable place. :thumbsup:

Taz 05-29-2012 08:31 AM

There's also the possiblility that there's some feature in DashZ's website that antivirus programs are overly suspicious of, and give you a warning just to be on the safe side. So it's possible the website is fine, it's just something in their operating system that triggers false alarms maybe? Either way, I have made Internet Brands (the owners of MCF) aware of Mike's concern.

I occasionally get a "possible phishing" warning from a couple sites that I know are perfectly safe. It's something in the website's operating system software that triggers a false warning.

I know for a fact, that many internet service providers email system thinks that emails from MCF are spam. Any and all emails coming from MCF get flagged by the ISP's spam filter, and it never reaches your inbox. Not even your junk mail or spam boxes. This is why many members never get the confirmation email when they sign up for MCF or any other forum using the vBulletin operating system. I was one of them also. I had to create a gmail account for forum use.

Taz 05-29-2012 02:53 PM

Mike, the tech department used the additional info you provided and checked out what happened. It appears it's like I mentioned in my previous post. The site is fine. It's just something about their site that generates a false alarm.

But here's the answer I got...

Thank you for the additional information. I think in this specific instance, we are OK. I believe the user got a false positive for some reason, as a result of the dashz link. Using Google to search for that site, and browse to it with Chrome, doesn't present any warning at all, and if there were an issue there, Google would flag the site themselves. It's happened on a site or two of ours even.

You can let the member know that we have looked into it, and do not believe there to be any threat to him, or any other user of MCF.

Thanks again for highlighting this potential problem!

Robb M.
Community Manager,
Internet Brands
As I mentioned yesterday Mike. Internet Brands takes viruses and hackers very seriously. They constantly take measures to prevent attacks. That's why MCF goes down from time to time. It's the tech department working on the servers. Updating virus protection and forum software. Even administrators like myself don't have full access to critical areas of the forum. Hope this eases your mind. :)