Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): what parts needed for stereo install (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/what-parts-needed-stereo-install-52529/)

SteveCZ28 03-24-2015 05:02 PM

what parts needed for stereo install

i just got a 06 monte ss, im looking to do a double din stereo install. i can find the double din stereo bracket to install the stereo itself, but my question is which harness(es) will i need to do install. i have onstar, which i know is obsolete and doesnt work anymore, and have steering wheel controls as well. the factory stereo is just too quiet for me.
im kind of tossing the idea around of putting in a 4 channel amp and powering the 4 speakers in car off of that, and then run a amp for a sub also. i like my music, and like to feel it too.
so with that said, will i need a larger alternator, or will i be able to get away with doing the big 3 upgrade. and does anyone have any tips, or write ups on doing the big 3??

any input would be appreciated. thanks

Nas Escobar 03-26-2015 05:39 PM

You usually don't need a beefed up alternator until you pass 1000-1500 watts RMS. The real question really is how many watts RMS total are you shooting for? Remember that the peak rating on the speakers aren't usually reached, that's mostly for spurts of power.

As far as the battery, you could just get an AGM battery that can deep cycle over the beefed up alternator. I personally would do the Big 3 upgrade and get some sort of AGM battery. You could use the store brand Autocraft and Duralast AGM batteries from those respective stores. AFAIK, they're not deep cycle but they use the bigger side terminal battery (Group 78). Passenger GM cars usually come with a size 75 battery but the 78 is only an inch longer. It will fit, and they usually come with more CA's anyways. The stock alternator should be sufficient, if it's 135 amps. The real thing here is to find out how many amps does your stock alternator put out.

As far as the big 3, it is relatively simple to do. You can look up at a how to from any car. The process is basically the same. Your goal is to run a wire from the alternator to the battery (FUSED at how many amps the alternator puts out), a ground from the battery to the chassis, and an alternator ground.

The easiest one is the battery ground, just follow the lead to where the battery is grounded and supplement the ground. The hardest one may be alternator, depending on the location of it.

I would also beef up any weak grounds while you're at it.

Steering wheel controls require their own adapter. Usually PAC makes those for GM cars. They're relatively easy to wire up, you just need a harness adapter for the clip that went behind the radio. Make sure the adapter for the steering wheel controls that you get is also compatible with the radio. Some radios use a different style of connector for that. The harness to wire in the radio itself has to be one of those with the chime module. If onstar doesn't work anymore, I would delete it and use the non onstar module. You can use the AXXESS LC-GMRC-LAN-01 harness and be okay. It retains the chimes and the feature where the radio stays on without the key for 10 minutes.

SteveCZ28 03-26-2015 07:40 PM

well i was just looking at picking up a 500w 4 channel amp to run the 4 speakers in the car. and i already have a kenwood KAC-9103D. which is a 1 channel. 500w rms at 4 ohm, and 900 rms at 2 ohm, that ill be using to push my sub/s.

i was curious about the big 3, because ive read that on these cars the power wire runs from the alternator to the starter, or something along those lines.

ill look into a agm with top and side terminals to simplify doing a big 3, as well as providing an easier way of supplying 2 amplifiers, instead of running every thing off just a top post that the car has from factory.

thanks for that wire harness number. that helps.

Nas Escobar 03-28-2015 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 (Post 653381)
well i was just looking at picking up a 500w 4 channel amp to run the 4 speakers in the car. and i already have a kenwood KAC-9103D. which is a 1 channel. 500w rms at 4 ohm, and 900 rms at 2 ohm, that ill be using to push my sub/s.

Will you be using the amp in 2 ohm mode or 4 ohm?

You could get away with it with the stock alternator, but I would definitely upgrade the battery.

i was curious about the big 3, because ive read that on these cars the power wire runs from the alternator to the starter, or something along those lines.

I don't have much experience with GM cars past 2005, so I'm not too familiar with the newer 60 degree engines, however most of the time, the wire to the starter is from the battery, and the alternator goes to the battery. That's why there's 2 wires on the positive terminal. If you have the time, you should follow the wire from the starter and see if it takes you to the battery. Regardless, the starter shouldn't be an issue, just run the alternator positive to the battery.

ill look into a agm with top and side terminals to simplify doing a big 3, as well as providing an easier way of supplying 2 amplifiers, instead of running every thing off just a top post that the car has from factory.

thanks for that wire harness number. that helps.

I didn't know GM went back to top posts. I thought they still used side terminals.

SteveCZ28 03-31-2015 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nas Escobar (Post 653679)
Will you be using the amp in 2 ohm mode or 4 ohm?

You could get away with it with the stock alternator, but I would definitely upgrade the battery.

[FONT=Arial]

I don't have much experience with GM cars past 2005, so I'm not too familiar with the newer 60 degree engines, however most of the time, the wire to the starter is from the battery, and the alternator goes to the battery. That's why there's 2 wires on the positive terminal. If you have the time, you should follow the wire from the starter and see if it takes you to the battery. Regardless, the starter shouldn't be an issue, just run the alternator positive to the battery.

I didn't know GM went back to top posts. I thought they still used side terminals.

ill be using the amps in 4 ohm mode.
i have a 06 ss, so its not the v6 i think youre describing.
yes 7th gen are top post again

SteveCZ28 03-31-2015 08:49 PM

i got to thinking, being as im gonna run the speakers in the car off its own amp, i wont need the harness that retains the warning chimes, as the speakers will be ran off the amp, instead of off the internal amp in the new aftermarket deck. so could i get away with the harness that literally only provides power to a aftermarket deck? or will i need a different harness still?

Nas Escobar 04-01-2015 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 (Post 654311)
ill be using the amps in 4 ohm mode.
i have a 06 ss, so its not the v6 i think youre describing.
yes 7th gen are top post again

Actually you do. Both the 3500 and 3900 are 60 degree V6 engines. The degree thing is just the offset between the 2 banks. The 3800 was a 90 degree engine, so its banks were further seperated than the standard GM V6's that they use now.

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 (Post 654312)
i got to thinking, being as im gonna run the speakers in the car off its own amp, i wont need the harness that retains the warning chimes, as the speakers will be ran off the amp, instead of off the internal amp in the new aftermarket deck. so could i get away with the harness that literally only provides power to a aftermarket deck? or will i need a different harness still?

The chimes don't play out of your system speakers when you go aftermarket. That's what the chime module is for. It has a speaker built in to play the chimes when you open the door, put the key in, and all that good stuff. If you don't want the chimes, you MIGHT be able to get away using the standard GM wiring harness, but I don't know if GM changed the pinout to the radio for the 2006 refresh.

The other issue is that the chime module also allows you to keep the accessory mode function. Otherwise you have to wire the red wire from the radio to the ignition to get it to turn on.

SteveCZ28 04-01-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nas Escobar (Post 654442)
Actually you do. Both the 3500 and 3900 are 60 degree V6 engines. The degree thing is just the offset between the 2 banks. The 3800 was a 90 degree engine, so its banks were further seperated than the standard GM V6's that they use now.

The chimes don't play out of your system speakers when you go aftermarket. That's what the chime module is for. It has a speaker built in to play the chimes when you open the door, put the key in, and all that good stuff. If you don't want the chimes, you MIGHT be able to get away using the standard GM wiring harness, but I don't know if GM changed the pinout to the radio for the 2006 refresh.

The other issue is that the chime module also allows you to keep the accessory mode function. Otherwise you have to wire the red wire from the radio to the ignition to get it to turn on.

not to sound like an ass, but a 06 monte ss has a 5.3 v8, not v6 like you keep mentioning.

and i put in aftermarket system in my 05 tahoe, and the chime module for it, plays through the trucks front drivers door speaker. im just having a harder time finding the right module for the monte tho

Nas Escobar 04-02-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 (Post 654517)
not to sound like an ass, but a 06 monte ss has a 5.3 v8, not v6 like you keep mentioning.

It's okay, I didn't realize you had the SS. I thought you had the lower trim. That one's really my fault for failing to realize you had put SS in your post.

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 (Post 654517)
and i put in aftermarket system in my 05 tahoe, and the chime module for it, plays through the trucks front drivers door speaker. im just having a harder time finding the right module for the monte tho

That's rather strange to me. I put a system in a 2005 Cavalier and the chime plays through the Scosche adapter. The same would have happened in a 2003 Grand Am I used to own but I didn't put the chime module in it, so it had no chimes whatsoever. I'm not sure what adapter the Tahoe uses, but the cars I've had with that adapter uses the Scosche GM2000A, which can be picked up at wally world.

Anyways, here's the wiring harness you need. It's non onstar but keeps the RAP feature and the turn on feature, which without it would have to be tapped into another accessory turned on by the ignition.

Axxess LC-GMRC-LAN-01 (lcgmrclan01) GM LAN Data Bus Interface

SteveCZ28 04-02-2015 09:04 PM

i just sold my 06 monte carlo lt to get this ss i have now, and it had aftermarket deck in it when i got it, and it also played thru driver door speaker. i couldnt find a part number on that module tho for me to order for the ss.

i think i put in the gmos-04 in the tahoe with a s.w.c adaptor. ill have to look what excatly i put in it.

so i need to figure out what adaptor will work in the ss, and ill need a swc for it as well