Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Temperature gauge. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/temperature-gauge-31367/)

konakelowna 10-03-2011 07:43 PM

Temperature gauge.

Hi, everyone. I just bought a 2001 monte carlo ss and the temperature gauge isnt working. At first I thought that the stepper motor needed to be replaced but apparently this isnt the problem with the 2001. I am also noticing that the the fan will run for a few minutes after the car is shut off and the a/c isnt working. It makes sence that all of these problems are connected. What could the problem be? Could it be the thermostat?

And the heated seat isnt working so im wondering if anyone could tell me a quick fix. If the bottom burner is broken is there a way to bipass it in order to reach the back burner. Thanks.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-04-2011 09:14 AM

Temperature sensor failed, just probably need to replace it.

Since it failed the car goes into a fail-safe mode since it doesn't know the actual temperature so that is why the fans are staying on.

konakelowna 10-04-2011 07:14 PM

Okay Thanks, I bought a temperature sensor today thinking that was the problem. Hopefully everything works out.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-05-2011 08:43 AM

I hope so :thumbsup:

konakelowna 10-05-2011 06:10 PM

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and thermostat but it didn't solve the problem. I checked the stepper motor for the temperature gauge and it moves freely. What doesn't make sense is that the fans will kick in even if I turn the ignition on and dont start the engine. Could there be another faulty sensor somewhere?

ChibiBlackSheep 10-06-2011 08:27 AM

Did you change the engine coolant temperature sensor or sender?

Did you disconnect the battery for about an hour so the PCM picks up all new readings from all the sensors instead of going based on some old ones?

konakelowna 10-06-2011 11:45 PM

I replaced the one directly below the thermostat housing, I believe that is the sensor? Where is the sender located? I did not diconnect the battery yet but I will try tommorow.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-07-2011 07:54 AM

Ok that was the correct coolant temp sensor. I would imagine if the problem still arises it may be a wiring issue :(

The_Maniac 10-07-2011 11:44 AM

If it's anything like a '97 Grand Prix I was working on (and we never completed), it's pointing to an issue between the BCM and the cluster. Hooking a ODB-II scan tool that can get sensor reads will probably report that the car's computer is getting good data from the sensor. Never fun tracing this stuff down :(

konakelowna 10-09-2011 10:51 AM

Good news, disconnecting the battery for a little while fixed my problem. The a/c is working, the fan wont run when I shut the car off, and the temp gauge works.Thanks alot for all your help, you saved me a heavy mechanic bill. Best regards from Saskatoon, Canada.