Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

sound upgrade-what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Default sound upgrade-what would you do?

My system sounds ok, but the bass kind of overpowers the mids and the highs. I want to buy a set of aftermarket speakers and run them off one of my extra amps that I already have.
First, I will tell you what I have... it's an alpine HU with 60x4 running the factory speakers and in the trunk I have a pair of 10" Fosgate subs and an Alpine amp that is 600w at 2 ohm and 300w at 4 ohm.
My first problem is I am not sure if I want to boost the front or back speakers. My personal preferance would be to add 6x9's in the back, because I already have the doors faded out because they rattle at a higher volume, and the rear speakers would make the install easier because I could mount the 2nd amp in the trunk, but a buddy at work seems to think I should boost the door speakers to balance out the sound to the front? I know I could add an insulation kit to minimize the door rattle, but I have never boosted the fronts before, and have heard that in other people's cars and didn't like it as much.
And I am not sure how I want to amplify this, I have a couple of options...
I also have an Alpine 300w mono channel sub amp that I could use for the subs, then the 4 channel amp that I have in now could run the front speakers or 6x9's or both.
I also have an older model Fosgate 2 channel amp that is 60w x2. Anyone who knows the older fosgate amps, knows they were kickass in their day, and are much better quality than the newer fosgate amps...I could leave the subs as is and just add the fosgate amp to the inside speakers.
So my problem is front or back, and what combination of amps should I go with?
I only have to buy speakers, I already have another amp wiring kit!
I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and am not sure what to do, and am afraid if I buy door speakers I might not like it and then I would have to buy 6x9's after...
what would you do?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM

your first problem, is no problem. remove them and allow the bass from your trunk to port into your cabin, you'll never know their gone.

you can just run off front speakers, alot of people are warry of this but it's really not noticable with a sub in the trunk, and you have 2 10's you'll never even care once you have it tuned right. the door panels don't rattle that much in that car, you're probobly just hearing the cheap speakers. I recomend anything really, dpeends what you like but it'll all sound good compared to stock speakers, i like polk, alpine, jbl, jl audio, pioneer, persician power, so on so forth. take your pick, look at their different packages, i recommend component speakers, as they easily fit down there.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 AM

I disagree with eviling. If you like to listen to quality sound then you'll be offset by the rears not being there. You should always achieve full range audio by utilizing a strong mid-range. Your 6x9's are where most of your mid to low range is coming from. Your fronts are not going to be able to keep up with the volume without distorting. Especially if you're pushing any decent amount of SPL with your sub.

My best advice is to replace the fronts first. Listen to a lot of what your local audio shops have to offer and see what sounds the best to you. If you don't want to pay a million dollars for them, get the model number for the speakers you like and e-bay them for half the price. If you're going for audio quality and volume, you need to get a set of speakers that have a strong cone, longer travel, and a decent amount of air cooling space.

I would recommend listening to the Kenwood Excelon series speaker as a minimum. The Excelons run higher in price, but listen to the difference in audio quality in mid to high volume and you'll instantly understand what you need to look/listen for. JL has some great products right now that they release under a sister company called TMA. You should check them out and see if you can find something pricewise that can make you happy.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:26 AM

I folded the back seat down so I could hear how it sounds with the subs ported and it really doesn't make any difference at all, inside the car it sounds the same so I really don't see the point in removing the 6x9's. If anything, it makes me want to remove the fold down seat so I can see my sub bumping all the time.
I want to hook up my mono channel amp to the subs and see if that will be enough bass, and if so I will replace all 4 factory speakers and run them off the 4 channel amp.
Best Buy has a set of Sony 6 1/2" door speakers on sale for $50, it is like half price but I am not a big fan of Sony, I am more of an Alpine kinda' guy.
Another thing that crossed my mind today was that I have a set of speakers in little boxes from an old bookshelf system and they were really high powered, about 300w 3-ways with little subwoofers in them, with 2 speaker wires going into each box because the subs. I want to hook them up just to see how they sound because I think the boxes would mount up nicely below the 6x9 grills, above the sub box and maybe I could save a couple hundy in the process?
Maybe 8 ohms? WhatdoIdo?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 AM

I would steer you away from the Sony's. You should be looking for a speaker that is made for being louder if you are trying to become louder than your subs. You should be looking for a higher DB sensetivity and a strong coned speaker with a good amount of travel. Anything from Best Buy is just going to make you wish you never spent a dime on it.

Please don't hook up your bookshelf speakers... 8ohm load will sound muffled and low, and could possibly damage your deck/amp if it's not able to handle it.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 AM

it is a well knowen fact that rear speakers are not needed in a system. i really dont know what your doing that you cant hear the difference but if you really aren't than something is certainly wrong, with your hearing or the output signal, other than that idk what to tell ya. good luck.

Last edited by eviling; 07-16-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ded548
I would steer you away from the Sony's. You should be looking for a speaker that is made for being louder if you are trying to become louder than your subs. You should be looking for a higher DB sensetivity and a strong coned speaker with a good amount of travel. Anything from Best Buy is just going to make you wish you never spent a dime on it.

Please don't hook up your bookshelf speakers... 8ohm load will sound muffled and low, and could possibly damage your deck/amp if it's not able to handle it.
I am not trying to compete with my subs with the mids and high's, just need some more volume then the HU's internal amp. My factory speakers start to distort at about 15 on the volume ****...the 60 watt per channel output from the deck is not even close to what ya get from a 60 watt power amplifier.
You don't like Sony either? They have a 6.5" Alpine on for $100 at best buy, I would be happy with those.
And yeah, forget about the bookshelfs, they don't fit anyways... they used to sound great and now they are collecting dust so I thought maybe I could make them work.
Thanks for your input.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by eviling
it is a well knowen fact that rear speakers are not needed in a system. i really dont know what your doing that you cant hear the difference but if you really aren't than something is certainly wrong, with your hearing or the output signal, other than that idk what to tell ya. good luck.
it is a subwoofer, low frequency travels easily thru the backseat so porting it thru the speaker grills or folding down the seat is not even noticeable.... and it is so friggen loud that it does not matter what direction it is facing or if the trunk is open or closed... it is just plain loud. No need to leave empty holes in the back where I could utilize those holes with extra power, and rear speakers are not needed but they do sound better with 4 instead of 2 and I am trying to increase the volume on the mids and high's so removing them does not make much sense at all.
You should have just said idk from the start.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:10 AM

you ask for advice, I give it, you spit in my face. perhaps you need to talk to a car audio shop because they'll be more tolerant of that kind of bs than I am as there being payed. good day sir.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 PM

You should grow some thick skin if you want to go around on the internet giving out bad advice...
Do you know what is involved in removing the 6x9's?
You think I want to go to all that trouble to remove them so they can port the subs from the trunk?
Boost the fronts is fine, but to REMOVE the rears is pointless.

Quick Reply: sound upgrade-what would you do?