Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Screw Removal Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/screw-removal-help-57667/)

96z34man 01-06-2017 04:13 PM

Screw Removal Help

So, I'm trying to replace the steering wheel audio control switch. Got the airbag off, no problem.

Once i did, I found that the screws that hold the switch on are Torx screws. No problem, I have the correct size Torx ratchet driver.

What IS a problem is, the SOB who previous owned the car stripped two of the three screws. They won't move.

My GF found a solution on the Internet that didn't work--putting a rubber band inside the holes to fill the spaces.

I tried drilling them out. I now have two round, very shiny larger holes in the center of the screws. Who knew GM had access to adamantium?

I could break the old switch off, but that leaves two plastic tabs behind which will prevent the wheel from going back together properly.

Does anyone have a solution?

Mels SS 01-06-2017 06:59 PM

I have never got that far in to that area can you put vicegrips on the screw?

96z34man 01-07-2017 01:07 PM

Maybe on the one that's toward the outside of the wheel, but the inner one is also set down about three inches down toward the steering column. I can barely get the Torx ratchet in there.

drivernumber3 01-09-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man (Post 698955)
Maybe on the one that's toward the outside of the wheel, but the inner one is also set down about three inches down toward the steering column. I can barely get the Torx ratchet in there.

I have TORX screwdrivers the old fashioned kind? That may be something to check on they have them at Harbor Freight, Lowes,Sears, and Some Ace hardware stores.
I hate when that is an issue.
There is a tool that I have seen to remove this stuff, a screw extractor but lowes has them according to google on the site. I think it was,at Ace too?
Once you get it off you might check a salvage yard to get the replacement item you need.

RickCoMatic 01-10-2017 03:48 AM

Stripped Allen's and Torx Fasteners need to be removed with a "Modified" EZ-Out.

Grind-off the point of the EZ-out so that the OD of the EZout "Just-fits" the ID of the drilled fastener.

BEFORE attempting removal, ... "SEAT" the EZout in the fastener with a couple of firm taps to make the tool bite BEFORE applying Undo torque.

96z34man 01-12-2017 12:58 AM

Yeah, I've gotten two different EZ outs since posting the OP, looked for the answer on Google before I got any responses here.

The problem is, neither of them actually drilled into the screws far enough for the EZ out part to get any bite.

Has anyone used a specific brand that works? The ones that don't are Speed-Out (from Home Depot) and whatever the house brand is at Harbor Freight.

WBody 01-12-2017 08:14 AM

If it were me, I'd get a dremel and cut a slot into the head and grab a flat screw driver. If you can't get a dremel you might think about another way to get a slot in there like a file, bending a file, some other way to cut a slot in, carving attachment with wand, ect. I'm not sure how much room you have to work with.

RickCoMatic 01-13-2017 02:10 AM

You have to modify the EZout!

Grind-off the point ... until you have the EZout that can fit.

a). ]]]]]]]>>>>>>>>>>

b) ]]]]]]]>>>>>