Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Remote Start (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/remote-start-33240/)

Rhammah90 01-08-2012 04:42 PM

Remote Start

Need help with remote start on 2005 monte carlo. Has anyone actually installed they're own and be willing to help run me through it.

zzapultimate 01-08-2012 04:46 PM

I installed my own on my 5th gen. I'm not sure how similar the install on a '05 would be. I don't recommend it though. You should get it professionally installed. It's well worth it.

BlackRainSS 01-08-2012 04:49 PM

I second the professional installation, many friends have had issues with their cars after doing it themselves.

The_Maniac 01-08-2012 05:13 PM

I installed one on my wife's '05 Impala (same basic car). It was pretty easy, but where you have to contort yourself to under the dash can be a bit of a pain. I also soldered ALL my connections (a friend of mine did not believe in that, but I wanted it all SOLID).

I don't know the task well enough to step someone through it though.

Do some research before buying one. If you are NOT comfortable, have it done at a reputable shop.

zzapultimate 01-08-2012 05:27 PM

Also, I found out the hard way that you void the warranty by installing it yourself. My Viper went out on me about 5 months after installing it and I needed a replacement brain. I needed proof of 'professional installation' in order to get use of my warranty. I didn't have any sort of thing, so I had to buy a second hand unit on ebay. All worked out in the end, but it would have saved me some cash and time if I would have had in professionally installed in the first place.

Rhammah90 01-09-2012 10:47 AM

Well there's not much support. Is this just a difficult install or not much tech for it. I've installed several radios and amp/ subwoofer systems not only in my car and others. I wanted to start to learn something new. Could anyone take pictures of theres installed so maybe give an example of how much effort this install takes.

The_Maniac 01-09-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate (Post 401536)
Also, I found out the hard way that you void the warranty by installing it yourself. My Viper went out on me about 5 months after installing it and I needed a replacement brain. I needed proof of 'professional installation' in order to get use of my warranty.

That's interesting. They better have that in print on the warranty card. And if that's true, then the reseller of the alarm should honor it (as it was clearly not meant to be sold to the general public for a self install).

Is this just a difficult install or not much tech for it. I've installed several radios and amp/ subwoofer systems not only in my car and others. I wanted to start to learn something new.
The one I did on the Impala was not tough from a technical stand point. A friend of mine pulled the wiring info from Bulldog (I think) and we used that to match up what wires on the keyless entry/remote start needed to go to what on the car. The most "technical" part was working with the module to bypass the Passlock system for the remote start. I still need to buy a relay to pop in so the lights activate with the remote start.

What made it difficult was just all the tight spacing under the dash. Getting to the wires on the BCM was the WORST part of it all (all the way against the firewall).

With your experience with audio equipment, one of these installs from a technical stand point is probably a piece of cake (again, the hard part is all the work under the dash). I think mine was about a 5 hour install (so far my first and only one I've done).

Rhammah90 01-09-2012 02:14 PM

What was the problem with the passlock. Would a bulldog 791 bypass work with with mine. If so do I just follow the instructions or are they're any hidden steps. And how would you hook up the brown accessory wire. Relay it in with the other accessory wire?