Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Rear Speaker Replacement (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/rear-speaker-replacement-30225/)

03SSLE 08-12-2011 08:11 AM

Rear Speaker Replacement

Well, I did a search but didn't find the answers I was looking for so hopefully someone will have the answers I seek...

1. Do you really need to take the back seat out in order to remove the rear window panel? When I did my search I found a write-up where they did, but someone posted saying it wasn't necessary. Does anyone know for sure?

2. Does anyone know which wire is positive and which is negative? The diagram in my Haynes manual shows the light/dark color paired wires for the left/right rear speaker, but doesn't indicate polarity. On my '01 Blazer the dark wire was positive and the light wire negative, but I don't want to assume. I'd rather wire the speakers correctly the first time rather than have to reverse them later.

Any info will be greatly appreciated! :)

Sparky-88 08-12-2011 08:26 AM

Sorry, can't help w/ #1. I haven't done a rear speaker swap yet.

But regarding speaker polarity... The polarity of an individual speaker doesn't really matter. What DOES matter is that both speakers be hooked up the same way, so they are 'in-phase' (same polarity) with each other. If they are out-of-phase (reversed polarity relative to each other) the bass response could be greatly reduced. The big bass sound waves essentially cancel each other out if out-of-phase.

03JGMonte 08-12-2011 10:02 AM

U dont have to fully remove it but the bolts that hold the top of the rear seat in need to be removed, its a tight fit trying to get the panel out though

03SSLE 08-12-2011 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply guys. :) I don't mind a tight squeeze if it saves me the hassle of having to remove the entire back seat. ;) I'm also thinking there really isn't a need to remove the speaker brackets from the metal panel, then remove the speakers from their brackets. Why not just remove the speakers from their brackets and leave the brackets attatched to the metal panel? :confused: I'm thinking a torx socket on a palm size rachet should fit between the screw and rear window. My manual shows the wiring for the left speaker as Brown/Yellow and the right as Light Blue/Dark Blue so I guess I'll just connect the Yellow and Light Blue to the positive terminals and the Brown/Dark Blue to the negative terminals. Hopefully it won't throw them out of phase. Maybe if I'm lucky the old speakers will have the polarity marked on them. UPS delivered the speakers earlier today so it looks like I have a little project to do this weekend. :)

walkingonabullet 08-12-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 351712)
Thanks for the reply guys. :) I don't mind a tight squeeze if it saves me the hassle of having to remove the entire back seat. ;) I'm also thinking there really isn't a need to remove the speaker brackets from the metal panel, then remove the speakers from their brackets. Why not just remove the speakers from their brackets and leave the brackets attatched to the metal panel? :confused: I'm thinking a torx socket on a palm size rachet should fit between the screw and rear window. My manual shows the wiring for the left speaker as Brown/Yellow and the right as Light Blue/Dark Blue so I guess I'll just connect the Yellow and Light Blue to the positive terminals and the Brown/Dark Blue to the negative terminals. Hopefully it won't throw them out of phase. Maybe if I'm lucky the old speakers will have the polarity marked on them. UPS delivered the speakers earlier today so it looks like I have a little project to do this weekend. :)

carefull with those words young one! I bent my back seat taking mine out :mad: ive yet to get the amps off my back seat and remove my entire back seat so that i could fix this too, and it's quite a ****ty situation. because it's such an emence pain in the ass, it's easier to just remove the back seat if you are having ANY trouble at all just remove it.

red04montels 08-12-2011 06:15 PM

i made a video on it, here you go.

6th Generation Monte Carlo Rear Speaker Deck Removal/6x9 Replacement-red04montels - YouTube

03SSLE 08-12-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 351766)
i made a video on it, here you go.

Cool Beans - Thanks! :thumbsup:

red04montels 08-12-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 351805)
Cool Beans - Thanks! :thumbsup:

you bet =]

let me know if you have any questions

CdnMonte00 08-13-2011 10:48 AM

03SSLE

Who did you buy the Infinity's from?

I want to do the same swap but Future Shop here in Canada wants $249 for the Kappa 6x9's.

red04montels 08-13-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by CdnMonte00 (Post 351941)
03SSLE

Who did you buy the Infinity's from?

I want to do the same swap but Future Shop here in Canada wants $249 for the Kappa 6x9's.

You could try crutchfield or sonic electronix I'm not sure what their shipping deal is but they both have good prices