Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Default OEM nav

Looking at possibly installing an OEM nav unit in my car. I know that the aftermarket units are better, cheaper etc. but prefer the factory look even though the 7th gen did not offer it. Not great with the search function so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good: The size and shape of the head units in 7th gens are shared across a lot of GM products.

Bad: The are all tied to body module and if the car did not have navigation it will not work. Unless someone has hacked one, I looked into it and never seen any. There's a bunch of lookalikes out there, might check some
eBay (click)

Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As Barovelli mentioned, the Monte never had a factory nav radio/system. One thing I have learned with GM cars, if you are willing to spend the time and money to tinker, you can do some nifty things.
Such as I am running a MP3 radio GM offered for the Cavalier and Venture Van (never the Monte). And more tinkering, I add a XM receiver (but not for XM, I had another method to my madness).

Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 AM

With all the different aftermarket versions available, anyone have a recommendation for one that looks good, fits without cutting or adding a install kit and is some what plug and play ?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should just be able to find any double-din off crutchfield, add an installation kit, and have it look the best that it could.

Something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX....html?tp=20212

With this: https://www.crutchfield.com/car/solu...&mode=ShopPath

Old 10-18-2017, 07:48 PM

No offense, but I think I'd stay far away from that particular unit. There are two reasons.

1. The link routes through two other websites before going to the page. Do you really want two other companies besides Crutchfield getting your CC info?

2. Garmin nav is garbage. We used the wife's Garmin in South Florida a couple years back. It took us out of our way in order to put us on the Turnpike. Two of the things I hate most in life are wasted gas and tolls.