Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

OmniFiâ„¢ DMP1

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default OmniFiâ„¢ DMP1

Hi, I'm new to this site, i own a Monte Carlo SS 03, i've been looking at aftermarket systems and found the OmniFiâ„¢ DMP1, does anyone own this product, if so any tips b4 i spend my money on it?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Default RE: OmniFiâ„¢ DMP1

[align=center]Hi `Matt, and welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center]I don't have a DMP1, but I would like to.[/align][align=center]Below is the ReSearch that I have on them.[/align][align=center]I hope that it helps.[/align][align=center]Check back for other MCF Member's comments/reviews.[/align][align=center]Tell us more about your Monte Carlo, & please[/align][align=center]post some pic's.[/align][align=center]Good Luck` Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
From the Crutchfield Archives...
Wi-Fi® goes mobile!
Review of the Omnifiâ„¢ DMP1 Digital Media Player
by Leslie Shapiro
A review of the first digital media player for the car that offers WiFi capability via an optional wireless receiver, so you can update your music library wirelessly.

The Omnifiâ„¢ DMP1 consists of a compact hard drive module with a removeable 20-gigabyte hard drive (left) and a dash-mountable controller (right).
We might be living in the Golden Age of mobile audio/video entertainment. The old standbys of cassette, CD, and AM/FM radio are still alive and well, and they have been enormously juiced up by DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, MP3, XM and Sirius satellite radio, and HD Radio technology. Clearly, no one has an excuse to say they are bored during their daily drive time.

Of all the technological improvements, perhaps none is as pervasive as MP3. MP3 kicked off the file-sharing revolution that is legally (and illegally) changing the business of music, and reshaping how we bring music into our lives and carry it with us. Although a few oldsters still resist, most music lovers now routinely rip CDs into MP3 or WMA files. They burn the files to CD-R, or transfer them to the flash memory or microdrives in their portable players. It is often difficult to connect the output of portable MP3 players into a car playback system (and let's not even discuss the issue of how dangerous it is to drive while wearing headphones), but many modern car head units can play the MP3/WMA files on CD-R. That means a single disc might hold 10 hours of music — not a bad little library, and one reason why non-MP3 CD changers and players are now passé.

But what if you need to carry a really BIG music library with you? What if you don't want to swap out discs every few days, or what if you are driving from New York to LA and need a lot of tunes? The answer is a new niche of products that can record hundreds of hours of music on a removable hard drive, then navigate and play back the contents through your car's audio system. Even better, the task of putting the music on the hard drive can be done wirelessly with Wi-Fi®. In other words, there is a new generation of products such as the Omnifi DMP1 Digital Media Player.

The Omnifi™ DMP1 (Omnifi™ is a division of the well-known audio manufacturer, Rockford Fosgate Corp.) is a hard disk player for the car. Because its music content is ripped or downloaded MP3/WMA files, the DMP1 presupposes that you have a source of files, such as a home computer. (If you are a music lover, your PC might already have a few thousand songs on its hard drive). Also, although the DMP1 can be operated entirely by itself, you might also consider buying Omnifi's DMS1 Digital Media Streamer, designed for home playback of MP3/WMA files. Finally, using optional equipment, operation of the DMP1 (and the DMS1) can be made simpler by using a Wi-Fi® connection. As you might have already guessed, the DMP1 is a sophisticated product that is far removed from ordinary car audio players.

Next Page »

[ol][URL=http://www.crutchfiel