Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Need some opinions (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/need-some-opinions-33775/)

Leprechaun93 01-28-2012 09:30 AM

Need some opinions

Hey everyone, i've been slowly changing my audio system around and i would like some opinions from everyone as car audio isn't my most knoledgeable field:rolleyes:

Im planning to ugrade the front speakers, i'm thinking the below set for the door speakers. Anyone think there is a better one i should get?

Pioneer TS-A1374R 5-1/4" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

The other thing i want to do is add a sub. I was thinking of getting a sub in a box, like the below. Maybe a different brand? Subs i'm pretty clueless on:o Opinions greatly apreciated

TS-SWX310 - 12" Preloaded Shallow-Mount Component Subwoofer Enclosure | Pioneer Electronics USA

Milhouse 01-28-2012 10:53 AM

Most any aftermarket upgrade for fronts would be sufficient. As for the sub, what's your reasoning for going with a shallow mount? I would go with a beefy 8" or two before I'd ever get a shallow sub, unless I was trying to fiberglass it in to a shallow spot for some reason. But I think you'd be much happier with a regular Type-R sub from Alpine....the output will be waaaaay better and it still takes up very little room, anywhere from 1-2ft3...that box posted is about 1.17ft3 before displacement.

Leprechaun93 01-28-2012 01:35 PM

I'll probably pick up those pioneer fronts then. The sub i'm open to anything. I'd just prefer it to be pre mounted in a box. This is where i'm looking for opinions of people that know more. I've seen many other brands they have pre boxed subs on the market. i'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Ofcourse i'll need an amp go along with it but i beleive i can handle picking that.

Tadcaster 01-28-2012 01:39 PM

Just dropped in to see what you are doing.... But am out to lunch when it comes to sound systems

Leprechaun93 01-28-2012 01:45 PM

:rotfl: Hopefully someone that isn't out to lunch on sound systems will chime in:rolleyes:

skylark65 01-28-2012 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
if i was gonna do subs in the monte, i'd so the same setup as the "other" 5th gen i wanted had ( scince i've cloned every part of that car other than the sterio, lol) (first pic)

i gotta ask though, have you replaced the rear speakers yet? i upgraded the rear 6x9's in my monte to some cheapo wallmart 3-way "VR3" 6x9's, modded my package tray so i could use the grilles that came with the speakers, and all i can say is WOW, the differance is amazing! they sound great, much more of an improvement than when i replaced my door speakers ( i used sony explodes i got for free :D) and easyer to do. (second pic)

Leprechaun93 01-29-2012 12:56 AM

Nope i havent touched my rear speakers and i'm not so sure they're stock either:rolleyes: Now that i have my ipod plugged in i tend to test the limits of the stereo and i noticed i couldn't get far before distortion. I adjusted the fade to rear only and found the front is cause the distortion. The back speakers i can crank and crank, had doors and mirrors vibrating. They're like mini subs back there:eek: I discovered this on my break and it amused the crap out of me:rotfl: I do need to replace the fronts and i'm not bothering with rear now, never really was, looks like a pita to get to:p

skylark65 01-29-2012 11:20 AM

they are actually very easy, 2 bolts under the rear seat, 2 bolts in the seatback, and everything lifts right up out of the way. but it does sound like they may have been replaced, i did mine because one of the rears was blown up, lol.

try looking up under the package tray from the trunk and see if you can tell what brand they are, just for the hell of it :D

Leprechaun93 01-29-2012 11:23 AM

i did crawl into the trunk to look and i couldn't see a brand on the bottom of the speakers:confused: But man they've got kick whatever they are:rotfl:

Milhouse 01-29-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 (Post 412518)
I'll probably pick up those pioneer fronts then. The sub i'm open to anything. I'd just prefer it to be pre mounted in a box. This is where i'm looking for opinions of people that know more. I've seen many other brands they have pre boxed subs on the market. i'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Ofcourse i'll need an amp go along with it but i beleive i can handle picking that.

I'd go with the Alpine Type R over that Pioneer shallow mount then. It will walk all over that Pioneer in every way. As for a box, any stereo shop would be able to provide or even build you one, if you're not capable of doing it yourself. Most prefabs though are not great quality, leaky, tuned high, peaky. So if you do decide to get one, make sure it's got the correct amount of internal volume, try to find one tuned between 30-36Hz and make sure you add a healthy bead of wood glue to all the internal corners to make sure it's sealed up nicely and won't have any air leaks.