Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   MY new sound system with problems,2 12's haha (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/my-new-sound-system-problems-2-12s-haha-35090/)

04chevyboy 03-20-2012 10:35 PM

MY new sound system with problems,2 12's haha

So heres my set up:2 Kenwood 700 watt peak single 4 ohm woofers strapped to a Jensen 600 watt 4 channel amp run bridged down to 2 ohms

But my problem is when i get into high frequencys it cuts out and is anoying as hell haha.Im going to have someone look at it but im thinking the amp might need to be tuned or some wirering is wrong.Btw its a stock head unit,ill post pics later:p

mwjames 03-21-2012 01:12 AM

your running high frequencys to your subs??? you don't want anything but lows running to them or else you'll fry the voice coils

red04montels 03-21-2012 01:20 AM

Do you have it setup off a headunit and the sub out going to the amp?

There shouldn't be highs going to the sub, it's bad for the subs, your coils won't fry right away but they will eventually get worse and worse.

Make sure you're filtering the high frequency's out and only playing the low frequency's.

Also, lower the gain knob if it's still cutting out when you filter out the highs and only playing lows, you may have too much power going to the subs so they're cutting out.

mwjames 03-21-2012 01:32 AM

i don't think that jensen would fry them off to much power what are your rms ratings on the subs and amp?

red04montels 03-21-2012 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by mwjames (Post 438256)
i don't think that jensen would fry them off to much power what are your rms ratings on the subs and amp?

Well he does have them down to 2 ohms which means more RMS wattage and if the gain is turned up those Kenwoods don't take a ton of power from what I've seen.

jaws2008 03-21-2012 08:21 AM

Just to check you have 1 sub hooked up to channels 1 and 2 and the other sub hooked up to channels 3 and 4 correct. If you don't that's your problem right there(you CAN NOT bridge a 4 channel amp across all 4 channels). Also make sure to put the channels on low pass. Also I wouldn't be surprised if only the rear channel has a low pass filter and the front doesn't have a low pass filter.. some amps don't especially lower end amps. A sub must run on low pass for it to work properly.

04chevyboy 03-21-2012 09:08 PM

Well i guess i didnt mean high frequencys,i ment when you crank the radio all the way up the subs cut out.and yes they do pump hard enough to piss off anyone neer my car haha.we played with the gain and they only cut out once compared to every 15 seconds lol,but gonna have a friend with better better knowledge of this,im new to audio hahaha

red04montels 03-21-2012 10:37 PM

lower the gain on the amp, make sure none of the wires are grounding out on anything also

mwjames 03-21-2012 11:11 PM

if you had to run rca cables make sure they weren't ran next to the power wire. Double check grounds and such.

04chevyboy 03-22-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by mwjames (Post 438590)
if you had to run rca cables make sure they weren't ran next to the power wire. Double check grounds and such.

they were ran next to the power cable,whys that matter?lol and i turned the gain down and its working better