Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   LED talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/led-talk-32529/)

chris5115 12-04-2011 06:01 PM

LED talk

Hey guys, I am thinkin about putting red LEDs in the footwells and hooking them up to a switch which I am putting just below the cigarette lighter. I do not know a lot about LEDs and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what brands are good and stuff like that. Thanks for any help.

zzapultimate 12-04-2011 06:54 PM

Just about any ebay LED is the same. I recommend finding some cheap LED strips on ebay. You can get them as cheap as $10 for 5 yards of LEDs. Most of them are ready for 12 volts too. They have a sticky side too so you can stick them to the underside of your dash easily. They are also cuttable every 3 LEDs so you can make it about as long as you want. Something like this would work:

5M 500cm 300 LED 3528 SMD Red Waterproof Strip DIY 12V | eBay

All you need to do is solder it up and wire in the switch. Good luck.

chris5115 12-04-2011 07:53 PM

Alright thanks for the help man. I'll keep the forum updated.

02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS 12-04-2011 08:07 PM

i might have to pick up a roll of these. thats a good deal but im going to find a different person to buy them from, these are in Hong Kong thats along ways to be shipped.

chris5115 12-04-2011 08:42 PM

Ya thats true.

Boxman420 12-04-2011 09:18 PM

hong kong is "okay" for LEDs. i havnt heard issues from them. but shipping does take about 2 weeks

03JGMonte 12-05-2011 12:31 AM

Yeah i get most of my leds from hong kong only had 2 bad ones outta the bunch ive ordered so there not too bad

red04montels 12-05-2011 10:16 AM

if you order anywhere but from Hong Kong, prices will almost double in most cases

Jester_20 12-05-2011 12:11 PM

Here's a link to what i've got. They are $50 which kind of sucks, but they are color changing, remote controlled (which is pretty sweet), come with 6 sets of lights and a bunch of different modes (fade, blink, etc). I put 2 under dash, 2 under front of the front seats and 2 under the rear of the front seats and it lights up the footwells in front and rear without a problem. Also, you've only got to hook the main box up to power, and wire the light bars to that, rather than run a power and ground to each light.

needless to say, i'm pleased...but they are a bit more expensive

http://www.ledunderbody.com/expandab...light-kit.aspx

chris5115 12-08-2011 09:13 AM

I like those ones Jester. I am most likely going to get those. Since it has the control box do I need to buy a seperate switch?

Jester_20 12-08-2011 10:48 AM

nope. least i didn't. I just wired them from my power block that i run my amp & processor off of. This is the updated version so it may be a little different than mine, however it all appears to be the same. The remotes look exactly the same from older version to newer, it has 4 buttons A (mode) B (on/off) C (speed up) D (speed down). C & D are if you're in strobe or fade mode.

It's only got 2 downsides that i can think of, one of which has been deleted with the newer model and the other isn't really a down at all. 1) The wires are a bit short. I wired them all to the control panel under my cup holder which is a nice central location, however i could never run lights to my doors. The new one however looks like it uses a mini usb connection, which you can find extension cables for those at walmart :thumbsup: 2) (this isn't really a bad thing) There are a bunch of different modes so if you're looking for all blue or all red, you've gotta cycle through the whole list of fades and strobes to get back to solid colors. But who ever really bitches about having too many options?

Hope this helps out, like i said, i'm krazy pleased with em, and for $35 (got a 20% off email coupon) it's an awesome addition that nobody ever knows about until you want them to know about them.

One more plus, is that I see their advertizements on this site, so they must be a MCF sponsor -- which is always nice.:cool:

Enjoy