Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   LED help! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/led-help-33312/)

Boxman420 01-10-2012 07:08 PM

LED help!

i need some help from some of you that have or know how to change the color of the gauge LEDs. what size bulb did you buy and how many are there? ill probably do the HVAC controlls while im at it. some of the bulbs on my cluster are gone so i need some new ones and im going to do all blue! also will i need inline resisters on the main wire that powers the bulbs on the hvac and also on the gauge cluster?

thank you!

DTG 01-19-2012 04:57 AM

hey did you ever get helped with this man?

Boxman420 01-20-2012 08:05 AM

nope still waitin :p

DTG 01-20-2012 09:21 AM

PS - im going to be swapping all my lites for blue as well lol..... 5 MM for the dash I know for sure, and im pretty sure the door buttons, steering wheel buttons and everything else are 3 MM, just order them on ebay from hong kong you can get 100 packs of each for 2-6 bucks. shipping will take a bit of course but its well worth the wait. ALSO A typical LED draws around 20ma (15ma - 30ma range) of current and has a voltage drop of around 2V (1.6V - 3.8V range) so either order online or stop at rat shack or something and be sure to pick up either 620 ohm OR 670 ohm resistors 1/4 watt your going to want to put one on each positive leg of each led

jasonsmith 01-21-2012 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by DTG (Post 408386)
PS - im going to be swapping all my lites for blue as well lol..... 5 MM for the dash I know for sure, and im pretty sure the door buttons, steering wheel buttons and everything else are 3 MM, just order them on ebay from hong kong you can get 100 packs of each for 2-6 bucks. shipping will take a bit of course but its well worth the wait. ALSO A typical LED draws around 20ma (15ma - 30ma range) of current and has a voltage drop of around 2V (1.6V - 3.8V range) so either order online or stop at rat shack or something and be sure to pick up either 620 ohm OR 670 ohm resistors 1/4 watt your going to want to put one on each positive leg of each led

After replacing the bulbs in my HVAC. I noticed one of the small yellow LED's for the buttons were out. Will any 3mm yellow LED work in that spot, or does it need to be a certain rating or something?

Jester_20 01-22-2012 08:51 AM

I have no smarts when it comes to changing the LED's, but this thread kinda makes me want to take a go at it. Sounds like a cheap/easy enough mod. Thanks for the info guys :thumbsup:

DTG 01-25-2012 12:02 AM

sorry for a much late reply here, but yes any led will work, just be sure to fuse the proper size resistor inline with it to keep it from blowing or burning out prematurely. however dont quote me on the sizes of the lights other then the dashboard. best bet would be to take the led and measure it to be certain its 3mm. I have personally yet to complete the light mods but do know for fact the dash ones are 5mm

jasonsmith 01-25-2012 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by DTG (Post 410958)
sorry for a much late reply here, but yes any led will work, just be sure to fuse the proper size resistor inline with it to keep it from blowing or burning out prematurely. however dont quote me on the sizes of the lights other then the dashboard. best bet would be to take the led and measure it to be certain its 3mm. I have personally yet to complete the light mods but do know for fact the dash ones are 5mm

Do you have any idea the brightness and viewing angle of the 3mm yellow bulbs that go behind the buttons on the HVAC? I know they are transparent. I'm assuming something not too bright. I don't know alot about LED's to make a guess.