Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   last Sub question(i HOPE) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/last-sub-question-i-hope-27744/)

jaws2008 04-25-2011 03:22 PM

I think if he is going for sound quality a sub in 4 ohm is better. since the higher ohm allows for more control

Boxman420 04-25-2011 04:13 PM

okay im getting a 4ohms sub just need to know what gauge wire kit i need.

jaws2008 04-25-2011 07:15 PM

4awg should be good for you. Alpines are good, so I hope you like it. I had a 12" type x and it was pretty good.

Milhouse 04-25-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 318863)
Hey fellas im hoping to order my sub tonight. i got everything picked out. just not sure on the wiring kit.

BULLZ AUDIO EPAK8BL 8 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Wiring Kit - eBay (item 350408051571 end time Apr-25-11 11:39:15 PDT)

ALPINE SWS-1243D 12-INCH CAR AUDIO SUBWOOFER 4-OHM SUB - eBay (item 280420979212 end time May-02-11 13:04:19 PDT)

Let me know if i have the right idea here.

I never heard the Type S subs so I don't know if those are any good but the Type R's are no joke. If you can come up with the extra cash that would be my suggestion, but of course you'd have to get an amp to push it too. They like at least 600rms.

As for the wiring kit, we don't need to know what sub or subs you plan on running in order to decide which wiring kit you need. The wiring kit you need is determined by your amp. Use the largest wire it will accept. FYI, Bullz Audio is garbage. If you want an affordable amp kit, I'd go with KnuKonceptz at least.

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 318876)
whats the amp you have and whats its rated power, you genraly want 2 ohms on a sub amp

Why do you generally want a 2 ohm load to the sub(s)? Just asking because i've yet to hear someone get into a car and say "aw man, you have your subs wire to 1 ohm huh?" I haven't ran into anyone that could get into a car and could tell what ohm load the subs were running at, can you?

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 318892)
unfortuently i dont have my amp with me. its a boss amp rated at 600watts(max) i think? okay i dont really want 2. i just want some extra bass. so i found this sub that is only 2ohms is that gonna work better?

ALPINE SWS1223D CAR AUDIO 12" SHALLOW MOUNT SUB WOOFER | eBay

Without knowing what amp you have it's hard to say. But I will say this, Boss amps aren't exactly solid amps. That amp you have that probably has 600 watts plastered all over it, will actually put out closer to half of that, so more like 300rms. And even that's pushing it. They are cheaply made amps with cheap internals and are very overrated power wise, not to mention the cheap build quality and parts used can introduce noise into the system. It's not a guarantee that it will, but the possibility is alot higher with an amp like that compared to a well built amp.

What we need to know as far as the amp is concerned is what ohm load it does it's power at. With a cheap amp like that it's most likely at 2 ohms so you'd be better off with the first sub since it can be wired down to 2 ohms.

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 318904)
I suggest getting a new amp, and selecting a dual 4 ohm alpine type R. you'll be much happier with a new amp.

also what kind of deck are you running this off of are you going to run it off stock? i suggest a bass processor if your just gonna use converters.

Considering his product choices, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Alpine amp and a Type R are out of his price range, but good products for sure. Bass processors are good for introducing clipping into the system when in the hands of someone who doesn't know the effects cranking the knob has on things. I'm not too sure I'd agree on him getting one.

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 318911)
i was looking at the type R its little more money but its got alot more wattage. im trying hard not to spend a small fortune. ill try to get my hands on that Boss amp tommarrow and see what its got. i have an Alpine ida-x303 head unit.

The Type R is a very good sub, one of the best mainstream subs in my opinion. And just a FYI, subs don't have wattage, they handle wattage.

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 319151)
okay so between the dual 2 ohms sub and the 4 ohms. which one is better for a single sub application?

Neither is particularly better than the other on their own, it's when you bring an amp into the picture that one becomes a better choice than another. Perfect example is with your Boss amp, I'd bet that amp isn't 1 ohm stable so you'd want to have a final impedance of 2 ohms, in which case a dual 4 ohm sub would be the way to go. But if you had an amp that does the rms power of the sub at 1 ohm, then you'd want a dual 2 ohm sub.

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 319171)
dual 4 ohm is best for single sub application

What makes a dual 4 ohm sub better than a dual 2 ohm sub?

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 319174)
allright that works for me! im gonna upgrade the amp then. may not be right away but i still have to get a custom box built. and get all this stuff ordered. ONE last question lol. on the wiring kit. i want 4 gauge or less(or more)?

4ga. will be plenty with the wattage you're running.

Originally Posted by jaws2008 (Post 319175)
I think if he is going for sound quality a sub in 4 ohm is better. since the higher ohm allows for more control

I'm not too sure I agree with that. The box will have far more say so on cone control than the ohm load will, especially at this level of power.

Originally Posted by Boxman420 (Post 319184)
okay im getting a 4ohms sub just need to know what gauge wire kit i need.

4ga. wire kit will do you just fine, and you can add a 4ch. amp later on if you wanted and wouldn't have to get new power wire.

walkingonabullet 04-25-2011 09:11 PM

wow bro, no need to get nit picky im just giving the general best application that i felt fited his situation best, 2 ohm is best because it gives you the most power out of an amp that a system can do, its true the higher the resistance the better the control but again, on a sub..not AS important, it is importent to give them lots of power as you'll have a hard time getting that sound through the back seat.

for a kit, yes 4 gauge or smaller, wire gauges are opisite, smaller numbers are bigger wire. 4 gauge is about 3\8" - 1\2" thick depending on brand. I like tsunami my self. but some people preach on kicker flex wire..but i think its over priced for the perks it has, the only real dif is the wires are more flexable and resilent to bending, hense flex in the name.

Milhouse 04-25-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 319323)
wow bro, no need to get nit picky im just giving the general best application that i felt fited his situation best, 2 ohm is best because it gives you the most power out of an amp that a system can do, its true the higher the resistance the better the control but again, on a sub..not AS important

There you go getting defensive again....is anything I said wrong? My amp, like lots of others out there, has it's highest output at 1 ohm. So to say 2 ohms is best because it gives you the most power out of an amp is not always true, it all depends on what amp you have. The points i'm making are:

1.) Making a blanket statement can be misleading and downright false.
2.) It's generally more helpful if you explain your answer.
3.) Some things, while maybe true, aren't worth fretting over cause you won't notice the difference.

Personally, I take these opportunities (answering car audio questions) to provide as much knowledge as I do answers. After all, if you don't know the how or why then the actual answer is worthless. It's like cheating on a test....you might get an A on it but you're just as ignorant after the fact as you were before. I think you're one of the guys here who knows more than most about car audio, share that knowledge!

As for #3, telling someone not to run their sub at 1 ohm cause 4 ohms will ensure the sub is more controlled is overhyped theory at it's best. The fact of the matter is that the suspension of the sub and the enclosure have far more "control" over the sub than the amp ever could. Not only that, but I have yet to meet anyone who can hear the difference in a 4 ohm load vs. a 1 ohm load, it's just not possible.

walkingonabullet 04-25-2011 11:13 PM

im tired of this , quit picking fights.

I'm not here to teach, i'm only advising, ive gone well over the effort of the normal member in offering him solutions to his situation. you wanna teach him more about it, fine, but you dare insult me in the process.

Milhouse 04-25-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 319374)
well I have no intensions of overwhelping a noobie with such details, if he wishes to learn such things he can do the research like i did, i'm just providing him with what i would do, for the sub he was interested in, which was a good sub. I perosnaly never run 1 ohm subs, ive blown them far easier, idk if it's the resistance or what but they tend to blow for me (not stating a fact dont get your panties in a wad) and i was not arguing that one could hear the difference. you really need to calm your self, you seem to think i'm picking fights with you when that is simply not the case. not in the least.

Just because i'm pointing out the inaccuracies in your statements doesn't mean i'm picking a fight with you, it means i'm pointing out the inaccuracies in your statements. The fact of the matter is there are two main reasons a sub will blow, exceeding it's thermal capacity or over excursion. If you're giving a sub 300rms @ 4 ohms, it's no more or less likely to do either than it would be if you gave the same sub 300rms @ 1 ohm.

walkingonabullet 04-25-2011 11:59 PM

reload your page.

Milhouse 04-27-2011 08:15 PM

No need to refresh, I seen your edited post as soon as I posted, although i'm still trying to figure out where I insulted you. I can find the complement, but the insult, not so much.