Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): iSimple PXDX and factory radio (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/isimple-pxdx-factory-radio-54044/)

Gene53 08-13-2015 06:16 AM

iSimple PXDX and factory radio

I recently purchased the iSimple PXDX and PXHGM3 harness in order to add an aux. input to the factory radio on my 2003 Monte Carlo in order to connect my Onyx XM radio. Everything works well, except that there is a random "clicking" noise with the audio. Anyone else experience this problem? I tried a different source, and the problem is still there.

Gene53 08-21-2015 06:20 AM

I contacted iSimple tech support. Turns out I had a defective unit. I bought another from a local car audio store, and it works perfectly.

crazyzach722 08-21-2015 10:24 AM

Glad you got your problem fixed. Did you get your money back from the other one?

Gene53 08-21-2015 12:25 PM

Yes, I bought it thru Amazon, so I have to go thru their return process. My refund request was approved.

mcweet 09-30-2015 02:39 PM

im about to hook my isimple cables up for the same reason but im scared the radio will refuse to work after pulling the cables out to stick the adaptor plugs in.

did you have to do anything special with the radio before taking the whole dash apart??

thanks!!!

Gene53 10-01-2015 06:21 AM

No, I did not have to do anything to the radio. However, I did not have to dis-connect the power cable from the radio. The PXDX cable just plugged into the aux. connector on the back of the radio.

AwesomeSS 10-01-2015 08:08 PM

Can you plug in both an iPod and the XM Onxy radio to this unit? I have the XM Onyx too but I'm running through the FM band which is quite annoying. I would also like to play my iPod too.

mcweet 10-01-2015 09:37 PM

i have the isimple GM5 "simple gateway". there is a code on the box: ISGM575 that may be a more precise part / model number.

there is a module that is part of the installation.

you can have satellite and even an hd radio receiver attached as well as iphone/pad and then 2 female rca jacks and 1 3 conductor mini plug that goes in all kinds of players and even computers.

it has 2 8 pin mini din female connectors and a 24 pin socket on it.

there is a big long heavy cable with a plug that goes in one of the 8 pin sockets and a connector on the other end for the wider apple connector for an older i phone or ipad.

i think i saw a note about yet another adaptor for the newer skinnier apple connector but i expect that is hard to keep up with. i think its made up where you dont have to worry any of it becoming obsolete.

there is a cable included that has an 8 pin plug for the other 8 pin socket on the module with a pair of female rca sockets (red and white) and the mini 3 conductor phone plug that can be stuck in just about anything so it will play through the car stereo. it looks like its wired in such a way that the rca jacks and the mini 3 pin are electrically isolated.

now this is where it gets screwy:

the kit i got has a complex "insert" cable with 2 plugs that will go between the existing connections on back of the car unit, then the cars original wiring plugs into it.

a cable splits off this "Y" cable and goes into a 24 pin socket on the module.

so there are two large connectors on each "end":

1 24 hole male and 1 24 hole female with the holes grouped into 4 rows of 6.

1 28 hole male and 1 48 hole female grouped in 4 rows of 12.

1 smaller 24 pin plug in 2 rows of 12 that goes to the gateway module.

to me it looks like everything from the car stereo gets disconnected in order to insert this cable, unless the power leads are separate.

(the antenna wire stays put since this doesnt use a modulator)

i hope i havent clouded the issue up with all this..

mcweet 10-01-2015 09:40 PM

oh great - its been discontinued - just my luck

Amazon.com: i simple gateway gm5

Gene53 10-02-2015 06:43 AM

The PXDX only provides a stereo input via 2 RCA's or 1/8" plug. Not a true IPod interface.