Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   iSimple isgm655 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/isimple-isgm655-57966/)

The_Maniac 03-06-2017 07:32 PM

iSimple isgm655

I am curious if anyone has experience with the iSimple isgm655 kit that adds USB/Bluetooth/Aux features to a factory radio? And does anyone know why they claim it does not work with a Monsoon system (they claim it does not work with "signal sensing" amps, why)?

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Barovelli 03-06-2017 08:27 PM

For 6 years I've had the previous gen that has an Apple 30pin connector instead of USB. Connected to an ancient 64g Ipod touch.

Pros
Hide the ipod way up under the dash (update via wifi from the house).
Song/Singer text scrolls on the head unit
Steering wheel buttons control the selection
Paid $85 for an open box unit on eBay.

Cons
64g Ipod takes forever to sync with the Isimple when updated.
Scrolling through albums is slow with a huge collection. I put favorites in playlists.
Pricey. At $230 I'd be exploring a head unit with bluetooth and usb.

I'd put the quality of the hardware at a 9. six years in all kinds of temps and works like new. Had to replace the patch cable from too many connects.

Sorry I don't know about the Monsoon thing. I'd say the thing functions like an XM radio emulator. When it's connected you cycle through the Band button - AM-FM-Satellite-Ipod-Aux1-Aux2. Pick Ipod and it starts from where it left off. Tracks show up on the screen "XM01 - Hollies Long Cool Woman" and when that's done it plays the next song with "XM02 - Hollies The Air That I Breath" So there is some data in the stream that the head unit is decoding and displaying.

The_Maniac 03-06-2017 10:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback Barovelli!
I wonder if this unit with it's higher features shares that same issue from that older product. I never thought about it having to sync with the phone/media source.

The issue with the Monsoon amp bothers me because I have all the materials to upgrade my Monte with a Monsoon sound package (take my 6 channel factory setup to a 8 channel setup).

Barovelli 03-07-2017 08:20 AM

The sync thing is a minor annoyance. Say I add 10 songs and put them in a playlist. Never disconnect Ipod, update over wifi. The next time I get in the car the Ipod resumes playing where it was when I parked.

But try and change it to anything else (I did just add some new songs and want to hear them) I get "Updating" on the screen for about 5 minutes every time I try to navigate to the new songs or playlist.

Eventually it updates and can go to the new content. At least it keeps playing its previously planned content while updating.

Forgot another minor one - unit forgets it was playing when the car is off. Listening to some Ipod and I stop for a Slurpee, park the car shut it off. Come back with Slurpee and start the car. Head unit comes on in AM radio mode. Need to punch the Band button to get back to Ipod.