Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): how to paint guage cluster face (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/how-paint-guage-cluster-face-52945/)

KingWord 04-25-2015 09:59 PM

how to paint guage cluster face

ive seen a lot of people painting the face on the gauge cluster,ive pulled my cluster out countless times,but how do you get the clear plastic piece off without cracking it? I think its glued on,and how do you get the needless out? I was able to pull the plastic back off but couldn't get anything else apart

SteveCZ28 04-26-2015 03:04 AM

clear lense is just clipped on. turn the cluster around so your looking at the back. there should be like 6 or 8 clips, that will have the clear tab sticking through. start on one side and gently work your way all the way around and itll pop off.
when you get that off you can get to the needles. put down a piece of tape and mark where the needles were pointing so you can put the needles back exactly where they were to prevent misallignment.
i highly doubt people are painting the actual face of their gauges. they make gauge overlays that are different colors. they slip on over the needles,then press down and get pressed in with the rest of the cluster.

The_Maniac 04-26-2015 08:44 AM

For the '00-'05 Montes (and Impalas), the clear lense is fused to the black piece with the bezels.

Some have used a razor blade and LOTS of patience to trim it free, others a Dremel tool. I've heard supposedly heat works or the tip of a hot soldiering iron.

I've experimented with a donor piece I got from the junk yard and I fail to get results I like. I've tried the razor blade, too easy to crack/chip the lense OR have something go wrong (like the razor blade slip). And I tried the Dremel (mixed feelings about the Dremel, but it may be the best bet going).

Once done, you will have to glue the lense back on.

drivernumber3 04-26-2015 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 658906)
For the '00-'05 Montes (and Impalas), the clear lense is fused to the black piece with the bezels.

Once done, you will have to glue the lense back on.

Use caution when using glues. Like a Super Glue will tend to CRAZE or FOG Plastics the stuff has a fume that will cause this. Used to be a Model builder and learned the hard way on that one. :(:thumbsup:

KingWord 04-26-2015 04:11 PM

thanks for the info guys,il probably just puck up a cluster out of the junk yard and play with,i don't want to take a chance cracking mine

The_Maniac 04-26-2015 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 658966)
Use caution when using glues. Like a Super Glue will tend to CRAZE or FOG Plastics the stuff has a fume that will cause this. Used to be a Model builder and learned the hard way on that one. :(:thumbsup:

Plus side is the part of the lense that needs re-glued back together is never seen once the dash is all back together. :)

KingWord 04-26-2015 11:12 PM

Great Point Maniac,i might just heat it up some and it might make it easier to pull off,if I get it done il post some pics,thanks for running that in front of me lol,im sure a little patience and a steady hand can get it done