Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   HELP! With LOC! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/help-loc-29899/)

Furder2010 07-29-2011 09:47 PM

HELP! With LOC!

Hey guys...I just finished installing an amp and sub to my factory stereo. It's a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, WITHOUT a factory amp. I've done a couple of installs before, and was able to get everything hooked up (eventually :rolleyes: ).

However, I cannot seem to get any signal to my sub :eek: I installed a Line Out Converter to the 6x9s in the rear deck, but ...no sound. I have a lightbulb-electric current tester, and I get power into the converter and all the way up until I hit the RCA's. At the RCA's, it does not pick up any signal and therefore I'm pretty sure that the amp isn't getting any signal to send out. I bought a new LOC, thinking I had a defective...it did the same exact thing. After having tried this second LOC, I'm not sure what the deal is. I have checked the balance/fader on the radio, the amp powers on and I have moved the gain/frequency knobs all over the place. Others have been just fine hooking the LOC to the back speakers and getting signal???

Please help, suggestions??? I'm kind of lost at this point. I get power into the converter, just don't get any out according to my lightbulb tester...the RCAs would still light the bulb wouldn't they?

Thanks,
Zach

Furder2010 07-30-2011 05:02 PM

Nobody experienced a similar issue?

forklift 07-31-2011 10:06 AM

what colors did you use and is the amp turning on?

Furder2010 07-31-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by forklift (Post 347234)
what colors did you use and is the amp turning on?

By colors I'm assuming that you're asking about the wires that I pig-tailed into? The left 6x9 was brown and yellow and the right was blue and light blue if i remember correctly? I used the ones that plug right into the speakers...and yes, the amp comes on.

I played around with it all a little bit, and decided to hook the sub up again (I took the sub inside after it didn't work the first time) and it works! However, it is not as loud/does not rumble as good as other subs I have had. The amp is a Rockford Fosgate Punch P-300 and the sub is RF 10" R2D2 in a Sound Ordnance (from crutchfield) box that meets the subs specifications. I have to have the gain and frequency on the amp turned up over half way to get a good bass out of it. Where do you guys have your gains/frequencies at when using a LOC?

Milhouse 08-02-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Furder2010 (Post 347442)
I played around with it all a little bit, and decided to hook the sub up again (I took the sub inside after it didn't work the first time) and it works! However, it is not as loud/does not rumble as good as other subs I have had. I have to have the gain and frequency on the amp turned up over half way to get a good bass out of it. Where do you guys have your gains/frequencies at when using a LOC?

Got it working, cool. Please follow this chart to set your gain properly

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...gain-chart.jpg

Furder2010 08-02-2011 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Milhouse (Post 348154)
Got it working, cool. Please follow this chart to set your gain properly

Thanks for the chart Milhouse! I finally get a full day off tomorrow so I'll likely be playing around with it if it doesn't get too hot! :cool:

JBurd67 08-05-2011 01:43 PM

Milhouse - thanks for the chart, great help! I've got a question though... I'm running the same amp, except I've got 2 12's, 150 rms each. So the amp is putting out 300 rms briged, each sub gets 150. Which gain setting should I be using? I've got the factory head unit if that matters at all...

Milhouse 08-05-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBurd67 (Post 349088)
Milhouse - thanks for the chart, great help! I've got a question though... I'm running the same amp, except I've got 2 12's, 150 rms each. So the amp is putting out 300 rms briged, each sub gets 150. Which gain setting should I be using? I've got the factory head unit if that matters at all...

Since it's a mono amp, your two subs are combined into one inside the amp. That being said, your amp does 300rms and your subs, when combined into a single load, are also 300rms.....so use 300rms:cool:

JBurd67 08-05-2011 10:53 PM

Alright man, thanks for the advice! I always like learning new stuff, especially about car audio...it's straight up intriguing. :)

It's actually a 2-channel, I just bridge it to get sufficient power to the subs, otherwise they'd be at 75 if remember right...

Milhouse 08-06-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBurd67 (Post 349231)
Alright man, thanks for the advice! I always like learning new stuff, especially about car audio...it's straight up intriguing. :)

It's actually a 2-channel, I just bridge it to get sufficient power to the subs, otherwise they'd be at 75 if remember right...

How do you know it's a 2ch? Cause it has two sets of speaker terminal inputs? That's in an of itself doesn't make it a 2ch. If the model is P3001 it's a 1ch (even though it has two sets of speaker terminal inputs) but if it's a P3002 then it truly is a 2ch. But regardless, since you're bridging the amp (as evident by you saying each sub is getting 150rms) then you would consider it a mono amp and would use the chart according to what that one channel will do at the given impedance.