Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Interior Build: Goof Off! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/goof-off-52944/)

KingWord 04-25-2015 09:14 PM

Goof Off!

I messed up a few pieces of my interior using spray paint,i would get little holes where the paint would just not stick so I kept spraying hoping it would fill those holes but they just got worse,ive sanded all the rough feeling stuff off the plastic to a smooth finish but it still happened,does anyone now why it its doing that?the paint worked great on other stuff,some say it could be oily surface but I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to dry the oils out,

I also wanted to recommend this product called Goof Off it works great at removing virtually anything,i didn't feel like sanding it all back off so I got this stuff and poured some on a rag and it just wipes off,so if anyone else is having to clean old sticker marks or paint or even road tar this stuff works awesome,i use it to clean my hands when I get paint on them

02ssintimidator 04-25-2015 09:18 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the tip Word

KingWord 04-25-2015 09:36 PM

No problem,i got paint all over my girlfriends steering wheel and she got very angry but I used this stuff it got it off it two wipes

MnteCrloSS47 04-26-2015 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Used goof off to get VHT off my headlight, saw it done on a youtube vid and made it look easy, and stripped the plastic right off my headlight. I would not recommend

Attachment 23455

drivernumber3 04-26-2015 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=KingWord;658874]I messed up a few pieces of my interior using spray paint,i would get little holes where the paint would just not stick so I kept spraying hoping it would fill those holes but they just got worse,ive sanded all the rough feeling stuff off the plastic to a smooth finish but it still happened,does anyone now why it its doing that?the paint worked great on other stuff,some say it could be oily surface but I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to dry the oils out,

Some interior Plastics are more difficult to cover, and they can get oils from interior cleaners, riders, and other interior treatments. Goof off is good but it is the same as paint thinner/mineral spirits.
I have had some similar problems in the past, first I would recommend sanding the hard plastic surface then apply a primer coat and it should be sandable, then put the color paint on. That has worked in the past. Or you can also try the contact vinyl graphics they work well apply and use a hairdryer to smooth them out. :thumbsup:

KingWord 04-26-2015 04:17 PM

my friend recently started doing hydographic stuff it looks pretty great,but yea I just sat down for about 2 hours sanding one piece and making sure its as smooth as silk then cleaned the oild off with rubbing alcohol and used the krylon maxx with the primer in it and I still like using the primer then the paint separate, and SS47 I wouldn't have used it on my headlights either,i use it for stripping paint or cleaning old sticker spots,i sanded the UV protectant off my headlights now im trying to find something to recover it with,i was just going to use the black tint spray in a can but I feel like if my headlights are dull now the black would only make it worse

drivernumber3 04-26-2015 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by KingWord (Post 658983)
my friend recently started doing hydographic stuff it looks pretty great,but yea I just sat down for about 2 hours sanding one piece and making sure its as smooth as silk then cleaned the oild off with rubbing alcohol and used the krylon maxx with the primer in it and I still like using the primer then the paint separate, and SS47 I wouldn't have used it on my headlights either,i use it for stripping paint or cleaning old sticker spots,i sanded the UV protectant off my headlights now im trying to find something to recover it with,i was just going to use the black tint spray in a can but I feel like if my headlights are dull now the black would only make it worse

There is a professional plastic polish called "NOVUS"(google it to see where to order it) it is supposed to work wonders on clear plastic restoration.

rexdews 05-05-2015 02:31 AM

Nice to know. I didn't know that Goof Off can be used to remove paint aside from adhesive residues.