Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Front door speaker size (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/front-door-speaker-size-32366/)

jasonsmith 11-26-2011 09:31 PM

Front door speaker size

I've got an 02 Monte LS. It has a tape deck and I believe it doesn't have an amp. As I couldn't find it in the rear deck.

I was looking at replacing the head unit and speakers. I was wondering what speakers fit in the front door? I've got some 6.5" speakers that I test fitted, but the outer ring of the speaker was too big, and the screw holes didn't line up.

I was looking at probably going with Pioneer.

zzapultimate 11-26-2011 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsmith (Post 385744)
I'm already way ahead of you as I've come up with at least 4 different sizes mentioned on various boards and websites. Crutchfield lists multiple sizes. Some here mention 6.5", but I've got some 6.5" speakers that don't fit in the speaker housing in the door. Thus I made a post to figure out the size as I only want to order one set of speakers, not 4+ sets to match something up later.

I'm assuming you don't even know the size then?

I tried google myself as soon as you posted here thinking you hadn't done any research. However I came up with the same results as you did. Several non-definitive answers, and since I don't own a 6th gen myself I didn't know from experience so I thought I'd let another user answer your question.

Glad to see you searched before, and more power to you for posting. I'm sure someone here will help you!

jasonsmith 11-26-2011 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate (Post 385752)
I tried google myself as soon as you posted here thinking you hadn't done any research. However I came up with the same results as you did. Several non-definitive answers, and since I don't own a 6th gen myself I didn't know from experience so I thought I'd let another user answer your question.

Glad to see you searched before, and more power to you for posting. I'm sure someone here will help you!

The rear speakers were easy to figure out. But I might could fool with the front speakers at a later time. As since my Monte doesn't have an amp, the factory speakers are 4 ohms. So, I should be fine with an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket rear 6x9" speakers and still be able to use the front stock speakers since they are 4 ohm. Since there is no amp, I also get to use the factory wiring as well.

I may pull the speaker housing out and take it to an audio shop to see if they can match up a type of speaker that would bolt in. But I'm guessing there probably will have to be some mod work done. Though I might could also go with a 5.25" speaker since I think that is smaller than the factory speaker and try installing it with an adapter.

jasonsmith 11-27-2011 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 385772)
get some wood make it work, you'll figuire it out. its really not that hard. i have my self posted several things on this, so you msut not be doing your research very well. they are most def in almost all cases 6.5 inch 2 way drivers stock. not 100% how the boss system was set up, mine didnt have one. but ive put speakers cliaming 6.5 in my baffles no problem so theirs your answer, if your 6.5s wont fit, id check to make sure your not mistekn, if you arent, than well golee you got your self a toughee. :thumbsup:

My research was thorough which is why I came across at least 4 different sizes mentioned for the front door. I even looked at Crutchfield which listed several different sizes. Some on the board mentioned dropping in 6.5" others said the 6.5" didn't fit. Some said the speaker was a 6" others 5.25" or even 6.75". It sure did make it hard to order.

The problem is the outer ring on the 6.5" speakers I have hits the casing. So you couldn't even set the speaker down flush. I'm not going to hack the casing up though. The other problem was the mounting holes didn't line up with the casing. To get it to work, you'd have to hack the casing up and re-engineer a way to mount the speaker.

I'm going to keep looking around. But I think the best thing is to take the casing to a car audio shop and test fit different speakers.

If none of that works, I'm thinking a 5.25" speaker with mounting plate might could work. That is if the mounting plate lines up with the mounting holes on the case.

jasonsmith 11-27-2011 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 385783)
I don't see why you keep telling him to do research, its not like he popped in here with 1 post and is asking what the biggest size he can fit is.... seriously?

If your car still has the stock bezel in the door try some 5 1/4s out. Pretty sure that is the stock size for them. They could have changed to 6 later, when they started offering tweeters, which is why you are getting more results.

It does have the stock bezel and also the small tweeter as well.

I'll call around the audio shops and see what size speakers they have available to pop in the bezel to find what size works. That way I'll know for sure.

Though, it could be one of those deals where the bezel is shaped for that speaker, so an aftermarket speaker might not fit correctly. Though, I'm going to try and find something that bolts in.

At least the rear speakers are direct bolt in with no problems.

I'm probably going to go with a Pioneer system and run the speakers off the head unit.

Boxman420 11-27-2011 08:07 AM

i put 6 1/2s in my doors so problem. no modification at all. thats wierd that yours didnt fit..

jasonsmith 11-27-2011 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 385854)
i'm giving him a hard time because this topic has been covered in excess on this forum, the threads might not be siftable but they are searchable. in fact ive made ENTIRE threads about it, one i made an entire thread on how to make one with fiberglassing and wood to get the angles. their is so much info, not only that but curchfield ****ing tells you and no they arent wrong. they mark up ****ing 30% on half of their **** because of the emence amount of R&D they do so they can ship instructions with the the equipment they sell.

You must not have researched as there are several different sizes mentioned on this board for the front door speakers. Some have even said 6.5" were too big. That's the reason why I posted because there are so many different sizes mentioned on this board and everywhere else that I wasn't sure what was correct.

And yes, Crutchfield doesn't know either. Here are the sizes they list in the results when I look under "front door":

5 1/4"

6 1/2"

6 1/2" / 6 3/4"

7"

7/8" tweeter

1" tweeter

3/4" tweeter

According to Scosche and Sonic Electronix the front door is 6 3/4".

This speaker guide says 5.25":

http://www.americaninternational.net...ide_7-06_s.pdf

I'm going to try some different 6.5" speakers at a shop to see if I can find some that bolt in.

jasonsmith 11-28-2011 01:18 AM

I noticed the OEM speakers have some kind of tape/gasket on them. I guess to help seal the speaker or prevent rattles. Does anyone put something like that on the replacement speakers? Or just bolt them in as is? I figured something like trim tape could be used.

walkingonabullet 11-28-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsmith (Post 386126)
I noticed the OEM speakers have some kind of tape/gasket on them. I guess to help seal the speaker or prevent rattles. Does anyone put something like that on the replacement speakers? Or just bolt them in as is? I figured something like trim tape could be used.

it's called decoupling. it's to keep the resonance that the baffle is receiving from the mid bass from transferring to the door panel. if it does transfer you end up with all kinds of weird sounds.

see that's a fair question.

don't tell me to do my research, i'm not the one who doesn't know how to build a baffle :rotfl: good luck friend.

jasonsmith 11-28-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet (Post 386181)
it's called decoupling. it's to keep the resonance that the baffle is receiving from the mid bass from transferring to the door panel. if it does transfer you end up with all kinds of weird sounds.

see that's a fair question.

don't tell me to do my research, i'm not the one who doesn't know how to build a baffle :rotfl: good luck friend.

It doesn't matter if I know how to build a baffle or not because I'm not going to build one regardless. The speakers are going to get bolted in their stock location in the factory baffle just like how I want them.

I'll probably get a boom mat and cut the back off so there will be something inbetween the speaker and baffle.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...B050331-f.jpeg